Friday, July 2, 2010

NOTES BECAUSE I CAN . . .

It's Friday.  Not sure if it's the upcoming Holiday or what, but my week has seemed all messed up.  As I sit in class, ready to close, I find myself having to count the days -- figuring out what day of the week it is, so that I can give an appropriate sendoff.  Strange.

But, I know it's Friday; the end of most peoples' workweek. So - notes, it is:

1.  It used to be that I taught 3 classes on Thursdays and took a pilates class. Don't need to say that I was a bit tired by the end of a Thursday. Now that Kula has 'ceased to operate', I no longer teach in the morning. I was left with an open morning -- housework, ironing, shredding an accumulation of personal paperwork; then ran a couple errands, and to pilates with Cindy.  I taught YogaHour at 4; nice group - several levels of experience (newer and more experienced). The 3rd class was a Level 1 beginning at 5:45 - I've shifted that to another instructor; so, home for a nice dinner with Howard.

2.  I received the newsletter from John (as did many of you). It was great he took the time to address the worries of some. With all that's been going on in my life, I hadn't had the time to get worried or unsettled; was just going about my business. I picked up some of what he talked about during the phone conversation -- that nothing has changed but the specific naming of the philosophy of Anusara® Yoga. If you didn't participate, you may have heard that through the grapevine, or not.

What I read is that he's traveling, he's studying, he's teaching; the vision of Anusara® Yoga remains the same. Oh, sure, there are a few hula hoops in the picture lately; but, if we stay stagnant and unwelcoming to these new elements - we stand to lose the fun-loving and accepting side of the Anusara® philosophy. Just my thoughts - and, I did buy a hula hoop recently (shades of my past life!).

3.  Reading Facebook and talking to friends, lots of relief that the Immersion acceptance notes for Park City are out and most are in. I've developed a number of long-distance friendships over the past year and many of those people will be at this Immersion - it will be so good to meet them face-to-face.  If you're attending, and looking for accommodations, it might be best to contact The Shop (www.parkcityyoga.com). Also, if you can get a group together, there are probably a number of houses/condos available in Park City available for summer rental. I'm sure 'googling' something will find results leading you to resources. I'll be envious - driving from Salt Lake each day; but, hard to justify staying 20 minutes from home - it is fun to stay at the site of the training.

4.  Reading some un-transcribed notes from one of Noah's workshops. I wrote down "we are always in an asana". It struck me, since I had several therapeutic issues arise this week, plus some common sense things. I believe Noah meant this as a philosophical concept, but I think we can also apply it to the physical as well.

First, students with injuries - falling, over-efforting, etc. - and arriving in class with sore muscles as a result; so sore, that their movement is impeded. I looked in my memory bank and found John's instruction that these injuries commonly cause the muscles to pull away from their positions in the body, and the best thing for these painful muscles is to apply muscle energy, moving the stressed muscles back into place.  It requires work and memory - however, reflecting on an injury, I know that the pain of letting go of that muscle energy is a very good reminder.

Then, the student who stands with feet unparallel - toes turning out (former or current dancers are usually seen standing this way, but many others are prone to do likewise). I take the liberty to tell students why this is unhealthy - it causes the femur head to move slightly out of the hip socket, irritation and ligament stretching results. When I tell students to stand with feet parallel, I inevitably remind them that this should be a practice they cultivate off the mat. I am so subtle, that I noticed as I talked to one student I was staring at her feet -- yup, very subtle and she got the message.

Finally, bunions showed up twice this week in classes. Bunions, I understand are both hereditary and self-created (bad shoes, etc.). Many people choose to take the surgical route, having the bunion removed. I never discourage a student from doing something that they and their physician believe will help. However, I do ask the willing student to pursue some foot massage/manipulation/movement, just to see what happens. For me, my own bunion tendency has been reduced, I believe, by this manipulation. Here's a short routine:

  1. Sit in a chair (or on floor, if you are comfortable); cross an energized foot on top of your other knee.
  2. Thread fingers of opposite hand (if you've crossed the right foot, you'll be using your left hand) between toes from sole-side of the foot. Grip firmly (this will help reduce any pain in the joints), and move toes gently back & forth.
  3. Keep fingers threaded, as you move ankle in a circle several times, first one way then the other; then, point & flex the ankle, 3-4 times.
  4. Now, with fingers still between toes, relax their grip, but keep them in there. Squeeze fingers with toes. (Toes are squeezing the fingers.)
  5. Remove fingers, and use your thumbtips to massage the sole of the foot; get in there deep.
  6. When finished, grip each toe individually and give it a gentle lengthening and a wiggle.
  7. Release the cross of your ankle, place the foot on the floor and compare with the un-massaged foot. Wow!
  8. Now, do the other foot.
I always notice the spacious feeling in my feet, no matter how often I do this each week.  The movement of the toes and joints will help to reduce inflammation (though it might not be comfortable). Your firm grip on the front of the foot, stabilizing, will help reduce this discomfort.  Ankle circles and flexing will be beneficial to your balance. The massage loosens the fascial layer of the foot. The toe pulls? They're just fun and create space in the joints -- be sure to stabilize especially the painful joints before you do this.  

O.K., that's enough -- got to go teach Gentle Yoga (this foot massage is a part of almost every class). Then the first practice at The Yoga Center - it is now a weekly event, 5:40 each Friday.  

Have a great Friday,

No comments: