Saturday, July 3, 2010

THE PRACTICE

The Yoga Center hosted its first practice ('THE PRACTICE') yesterday. Jen H., an Anusara-Inspired™ yoga instructor, is leading it each Friday for two hours (5:40-7:40 pm).

This is a new activity for my studio. Offering a practice is commonplace at an Anusara® studio; but, with just 2 Inspired teachers at my studio (for a total of 6 of 22 weekly eclectic hatha classes), I could hardly call my studio full-fledged Anusara®.  That ratio is shifting. This month also sees a shift in the kula of SLC; Jen and I agreed, what better time than now to offer a practice to our community.

It (The Practice) was a nice success - several new faces in the room, plus regulars, and me. We hope that, as word gets out, it will continue to grow; but, even if it stayed as is - we call it a success.

The best part for me? Seeing people in the room; seeing the seeds of a revived community being planted right on my studio floor. Be still my heart!

Second best part? Practicing with friends and some strangers (now friends), laughing, challenging myself, sweating a bit, having fun. (I realize that's five 'parts', but they all fit in the same category of 'fun' to me.)

It was a well-rounded week, then -- I challenged myself in my practice and I was challenged in my teaching. Think I'll use 'challenge' as a theme this morning. Great quote from John via AJ appeared on Facebook this morning, 'the fruit of our great yoga practice is how we think and speak in response to the challenges in our life'. Perfect starting point!

Once I have a starting point, then I go into the 'development' phase - journalling my story, figuring out my apex, what alignment principle and heart quality to focus on, how do I connect it philosophically, and the sequence. I do not have to do it in this order, sometimes the apex comes to me and I start from there. Or, I want to work on a specific UPA. Whatever, the elements must all be there. For me, writing it all down is a good habit to develop, because the video review committee wants to see the sequence in writing along with the video. It also cements it a bit in my mind.

Fireworks last night - restless-shivering-panting dogs, as a result. Not looking forward to this weekend (for that reason). Fireworks and thunder are our dogs' least-best friends. Bought some "Rescue" just for the occasion - it's a highly recommended concoction created from herbs that have a calming effect. There's even "Rescue" for people -- dog and people version all sold in the same section of our local health food store.

Enjoy the day,

No comments: