Friday, July 30, 2010

NOTES DAY (No matter what's going on.)

Friday; so here is a recapitulation of the week's activities and some thoughts for the future:

1. Last Friday, July 23, Carson - our newest grandson - was born. Today, a week later, he is still in the hospital; improving each day, after giving doctors, nurses, parents, grandparents, everyone, a bit of a rough introduction. While he has fought, we have been unwillingly reminded of the many babies who are sicker, in more distress, and our prayers have been offered for them, as well as Carson. We learn from even the worst situations.

2.  I returned from San Diego, squared things away at home for critters and housesitters, and flew up to Spokane to visit my parents and try to figure out a better situation for them. Seeing them - Father in skilled nursing and believing he doesn't need to be there; Mother in Assisted Living, somewhat oblivious to the happenings of the world - is hard. Trying to figure out what next step will be best and extend their resources as best possible is also hard.  So far, we're batting 1,000 on making questionable decisions.  Learning once again.

3.  I'll return to SLC for the weekend, then go back to San Diego to relieve the maternal Grandmother in helping Carson's family. Fortunately, my supportive husband will remain at home - critters will be happy about that.

4. Attended a great yoga class yesterday with Karen Sprute-Francovich.  Karen just returned from a meditation/asana retreat, and her first class was this one - a Level 1-2.  As I drove to Garden Street Yoga in Coeur d'Alene, I wondered whether this was wise -- lots of stress in the past week - could I hold up through handstands, backbends, or whatever she might ask me to do (considering the emotions, that is).

Her introduction included a description of the retreat and then she queried each of us in the room about what we had been experiencing. I could tell 'I'm fine' would not be the answer of choice - we were to tell the truth. Several had been dealing with physical stuff, one with exhaustion, me with stress. Karen skillfully crafted her class plan on the spot - after hearing what all of us had going on. AND, IT WAS A WONDERFUL CLASS - we moved, we opened, we carefully entered a standing pose or two, then - the final 20 minutes - were restorative. Sometimes things just feel right; this class felt right. Thank you, Karen.

5.  I continue to read with interest all the responses to the Times article about Anusara® yoga. If you read my post of a couple days (My Story), you'll know my history. I have practiced other styles of yoga. Once I found Anusara®, however, the wisdom of the practice to align the body, the lightheartedness of the practice as we look for the good, and the people I've shared this experience with, all have made this style my style. Nothing I've read will change my mind or make me question anyone's motives or aspirations. John Friend has been a wonderful teacher, an approachable guide, and a good friend to me along my journey.

6.  Sundari reviewed the video, and - in the midst of planning for a BIG family event, her own Therapeutics Training this Fall, teaching, etc. - took the time to send me 3 pages of single-spaced, typewritten comments. I am so blessed. I have a feeling that, once I get a video through her and move to the next step in this process; it will be a pretty darn good class. (Advice to readers, once again: choose your personal mentors wisely.)

As complimentary as she was (because she is looking for the good first, right?), there are things which need "cleaning up". The good thing? Suggestions for alternative languaging were offered; and she didn't just say something like 'improve your demo'; she said 'improve your demo by . . . . . .'; so helpful.

7.  I opened my 'notes' and came upon this entry, which relates to some of the comments Sundari made. (This is from a Level 2 Teacher Training with John, 10/09.) "Effort is fueled by meaningfulness. You have to give students something to hold onto." Then, a few lines down, "make it meaningful and they will do it or at least try".  A good time to reflect on or notice my language when I teach.

Example:  I'm teaching a class on courage or trust. Do I say "take your right leg back to high lunge" (boring) or could I say "use your muscle energy to hug the midline, and from the courage and trust this creates, step your right leg back for a high lunge" (better).  Like that.

Enjoy your 'notes day', aka Friday,

No comments: