Tuesday, July 13, 2010

SIR PAUL - Here We Come

My husband and I rarely 'do' concerts.  This year is an exception. We sponsored a local outdoor concert series just so we could easily access tickets to some great names. Then, here comes Paul McCartney. As you read yesterday, those tickets were bought HOT off the presses. Tonight's the night. Lots of expectations, but just seeing him will be like moving to some challenging yoga pose, finally and successfully.  More on this tomorrow!

I attended a class this past weekend while visiting Grandsons (I am a dedicated grandmother, but there has to be some time for yoga.). Usually I try to attend a specific instructor's classes; timing didn't allow that, so I decided to go for another Anusara-Inspired™ class. In order for me to do that (attend an unknown-to-me instructor's class), I have to put all my expectations and other-than-basic knowledge into my back pocket and ZIP it shut tightly. Then, out of the other pocket, I pull my 'beginner mind'.

It was a very nice class; taught with a genuine care for the students attending. And, I left feeling better about myself -- mission accomplished (by instructor and myself).

It is true that we become more aware of our tendencies when we practice -- as in, I caught my judgmental self trying to come forward a couple times. Step back, breathe, nothing I was being asked to do was dangerous - just different. Different is good at times. I am able to travel quite a bit, and here are some things I notice about Level 1-2 classes attended in different parts of the country:

  1. Chant or no chant (no chant, in this case).
  2. Chant either very loud or very soft - depending on instructor; or very fast/very slow; or very high (soprano)/very low (alto). It all depends. It often takes me the first time through to sync up with the group. Sometimes just one verse is chanted; others, the full chant.
  3. Then there's the issue of hands in anjali mudra. I have been in classes (not this last one) where the instructor, trying to be politically correct, offered students an option to bring hands to heart center or not. In my classes, especially with the strong church ties here in Utah, I will often explain that hands at heart center will be called 'prayer' position by some (which it does look like); more accurately, it is the mudra of offering. Who objects to 'offering' an intention? Besides, I remember JF being very explicit this past Feb., in San Francisco, about this being a spiritual practice and that we do believe in something -- we may call it something different from our neighbor, but it's there, and we must be able to acknowledge it.  
  4. As I move through the Certification process, I look for the elements - got to admit it; I am checking out whether and how other instructors are handling 'all the balls in the air'. I catch my thought process wandering to 'did he/she get a reference to philosophical connection in there?'; 'do I know what the heart quality is?'; like that. Sometimes a bit distracting, but I think it teaches me to be more aware when I am taking or teaching a class.
  5. I will always make note of the things done effectively (more so than when I do a similar thing). It's just the smart thing to do; not stealing, just 'borrowing' and contemplating until I can massage it into my own version.  
  6. Sequences differ; but that happens even in our own community. 
The point of this exercise? To dispel any misconceptions that every 1-2 class will be done in the same way. There will be differences; so long as I walk into a studio able to accept different, I'll be in good stead.  

On another matter. I've been trying to impress on students the importance of doing each pose as carefully and mindfully as possible. Every pose. What does that mean for my students? Lately - repeated uttanasanas -  lots of practice going into and out of the pose. I think it is very easy to forget that these transitional movements are poses - they require the same attention as the more challenging poses. My goal is to impress that if ALL poses are done with attention to the UPA's; as students progress, the more advanced poses will benefit from this 'care and feeding'.  Each pose benefits from this added attention to detail - even if it is just lifting the chin away from the chest as one rises from uttanasana back to tadasana.  

Today's schedule:  
New class today - Level 1 at 10 am at The Yoga Center.  Love seeing new faces.  
YogaHour at 4 pm at The Yoga Center. 

Hope you have a nice Tuesday,

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Good Morning Leslie,
You are in for such a treat with Sir Paul. I was able to see him back in the late 80s when he was still touring with Lovely Linda, his wife. A friend and I saw him at the now torn down Kingdome in Seattle. What a wonderful experience for this country bumpkin. Have fun and take a lighter just in case you get to bring him back to the stage with "Hey Jude".