Tuesday, July 20, 2010

SHOULDER BLADES . . .

She did it again -- another great class with an ah-ha moment. I'm talking about Tiffany and her work in yesterday morning's class with shoulder blades.

It is so good for me to go to classes. I remember once appearing in a class, only to have the student on the mat next to me exclaim "I didn't know yoga teachers go to class! I've never seen one in class before." I guess some of us may just be 'too busy' to go to class, but there is SO much to learn and observe in the class taught by someone else.  For example:

  1. Observation at the beginning
    1. How is the room set up
    2. How are people welcomed
    3. How are new students addressed and queried about their background
    4. All of these things set us up to assume the 'seat of the teacher' with more confidence, awareness, and authority.  
  2. Opening story/intro and chant
    1. How is heart quality expressed and the groundwork laid for cultivating it throughout the class.
    2. I am always amazed at how the chant is done a bit differently by everyone, but the affect on me is always the same -- to leave me feeling calm and ready to enter this practice. 
  3. Warm-up
    1. What movements are used
    2. How is theme woven, even into the simple warm-ups
  4. Active sequence
    1. What is sequence, what is apex
    2. I am continually impressed with the language used - so good for me to hear as I try to improve my own.  
  5. General observations in class
    1. Use of props
    2. Anecdote usage
    3. Humor
    4. Connection with students
    5. How are injuries addressed
  6. Closing
    1. How theme and its connection to yoga/Anusara philosophy is expressed at the end of class
Yes, I observed all this in class yesterday and I learned a lot; yet, it didn't detract from the great yoga I was experiencing. As Tiffany opened the class, she became a bit emotional about the story she was relating - I found some tears in my eyes at the end of the chant, as well. 

From that point forward, we moved through the class easily and Tiff was clearly in command of both instructions and languaging.  Demos were clear. I received a bit of heart melting and shoulder blade instruction that made my upper back feel amazing and stronger. I left feeling good. Thank you, Tiffany.  

So glad I went; and, I was able to connect with some yoga friends -- always fun.  

The remainder of the day went about as planned -- errands, video in mail to Sundari, a bit of paperwork at the studio, then home.  

Today?  
Teaching Level 1 at 10 am at The Yoga Center
Teaching YogaHour at 4 pm at The Yoga Center
Inbetween?  We'll see.  (paperwork?)

Have a nice Tuesday & stay cool,  

No comments: