Saturday, September 25, 2010

CORRECTED (OR, ENHANCED?)

I suppose, in this case, I should use the word corrected. I was mistaken in my year count for the anniversary -- it's been 29 years, not 27. I asked Howard how long, he did a bit of finger counting, and we came up with 29; guess what next year is? The big 30. Wow!

And, the painters are done! Except for a little inspection work, put a couple doorknobs back on, remove some tarps, get their $$$, and touch-up anything that looks amiss. I'm thinking we should paint our front door now -- it reveals the house, after all. While it's a good color, it could be better -- also the fact that the paint has stuck over the years and peeled away on the edges, means it could be 'enhanced'.

All right -- correct or enhance? Which one to use and why.

    Definitions:
    Correct - put right (an error or fault); adjust to function accurately; tell someone they are mistaken
    Enhance - intensify, increase, or further improve the quality of . . . .

I have, since day one of my teacher trainings, tried to stay away from the word 'correct'. I've never taken the time to look up the definitions, however. Now I know why using the word enhance, especially when teaching, is more empowering - just look at the definitions.

When I 'correct' I am moving from a place that says what is being done is 'wrong'; when I 'enhance' I move from the place which says 'you are doing great, now add this and watch your pose grow'.

Many of my students are new to the practice (or returning after years away). They, at times, worry whether they are doing things 'right'. That stress can drive them away; that worry that they'll never get it, they'll never be able to do what I ask. It is so easy, with one verbal misstep, to reinforce that worry and that insecurity. Wow!

Thank you, Webster's (actually, it was my computer's built-in dictionary). But, you get the point.

Today's Plan:
   9 am       Level 1 at The Yoga Center (I'm teaching)
   1 pm       Workshop with Jen (would love to do it, got to weigh all that needs to happen at home)

Have a great Saturday,

No comments: