Friday, September 24, 2010

FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY . . .

Want to shake up your world?  Paint the interior of your house after living in it for years, steadily accumulating 'stuff', not really paying attention to details; just living. Wow!

Not only did I find LOTS of dust and accumulated pet hair in the hidden spots, but I realize (even more than before) what collectors my husband and I have become -- over the top!

The painters arrived on Monday -- the house was already torn up from when they re-surfaced our ceiling 2 weeks earlier (we were out of town for that experience). We/they are painting the entrance, family room, kitchen, hall, master bedroom and bath. All pictures off the wall; all hooks that are not going to be used again removed, all furniture moved to the center of the rooms involved, all 'nick nacks' and small furniture shoved into the two (of 3) remaining rooms -- the living room and dining room (which are not being painted at this time).  We (husband, 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 birds & I) moved to the lower level, coming up only to visit the kitchen or leave the house.

I hope they will be done today. Then, slowly we will re-occupy the spaces after a thorough cleaning over, under, around each piece - which will also have been wiped of dirt and dust.

Throughout this, we've moved through the house, creating new access trails to needed destinations, becoming more mentally flexible in the process, I think. I look forward to the new look (a slight color, after living with white for 17+ years).  One of best parts?  No cooking for me -- just too much to deal with in the chaos.

Today is our 27th anniversary (I believe).  I know we've passed 25; just not exactly sure by how many years. It's a long story, one I won't bore you with right now. Fortunately, we both have lived it and understand it -- sometimes we might even forget the anniversary, were it not for the timely cards from my Mother-In-Law.

My teaching reflected the happenings at home -- each class beginning with a short progress update. This is the rewarding part of a long-standing class population; they move through your life changes with you. Here's a short rundown of the week:

1.  Monday was my private with Adam (which I wrote about earlier). Since then, I've found opportunities to use several of the moves he recommended in my teaching, and I've been doing them as well.

2.  Tuesday was Wayne's birthday and another great class, taught by Wayne, of course. Then, Yoga Hour, where a request was made for some movement of back muscles and shoulders. We ventured through pincha, each choosing our threshhold point. Then - for the first time ever - I taught urdhva dhanurasana. Why was it the first time? While it can be done, it is hard to teach a pose if you can't demo it - or at least give students an idea of where they are going. My new found access to the pose adds confidence in teaching it. So, why not?  Each student went, once again, to their threshold; some pushing up for the first time.  I'd call that moving the back and shoulders.

3.  Wednesday - Gentle Yoga day. A small, but always fun group. Several of the regular students are off on gambits around the world, so we did a little more adventuresome practice, as well. Took frequent breaks, tho.

4.  Thursday - After a shakey start to the day (painters, window covering cleaner, more disshevelment at home), I made it to the studio once again to teach Yoga Hour.  This class was attended by a young woman with what appears to be scoliosis -- though her parents maintain the doctors say "nothing is wrong. She should just do yoga". I agree, but I also can see there is something amiss. Not sure if this is a form of denial or just a language issue -- parents do not speak English very well. So I do what I can, and hope that she does keep 'doing yoga'.

5.  Today -- Gentle Yoga, again. Plans? Not sure. I learned long ago that plans for this class can be quickly dismantled by the composition of students who attend.

6.  Not necessarily a tip, but I did get a vote of confidence this week. I had written JF about the work I am doing with a private client; one who has several significant issues to be dealt with. (BTW - he asked me to send him a synopsis of this work.) He wrote that I should continue on the same path, what I have been doing is good --- hooray!

Working with private clients is very rewarding and reinforcing of my knowledge base. I find, as I work with individuals more, I become more confident -- especially when I receive feedback that the suggestions I offer are effective!

Today:
   More painting - please, be done today
   Gentle Yoga - 10 am at The Yoga Center
   Errands, sorting, etc.

Have a great Friday,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently did a similar thing- a decluttering of sorts...I found great inspiration from the following two websites:
www.missminimalist.com
www.zenhabits.com
Best wishes on the journey!