Sunday, September 26, 2010

WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT

What?  When I least expect it, a large group shows for Saturday morning!

I began the morning in a somewhat relaxed manner -- computer time, coffee time, then reviewing the day's activities with Howard when I remembered -- I have private this morning, EARLY!!!  Fortunately, it was 6:45 am and the private was scheduled for 7:30. So, pull away from computer, coffee, conversation and quickly get ready. Down to the studio with a little time to spare.

The student arrived on time and we got to work. Before I knew it, it was 8:40 and time to be getting ready for the 9 am class. Good thing? During my computer time earlier in the morning, I had written an outline of what I hoped to teach. So, I had that. As we said our good-byes - private student and I, students began to arrive for the 9 am. And, they kept coming! Among the class, 3 new-to-me students (and somewhat new to yoga), 2 of whom had physical issues to deal with.

What do students, new-to-me and having physical issues, mean? The well-planned class goes out the window. Instead I stuck with the basics; looking at the big picture - how people move, how they handle their issues, their mental state. No big, over-the-top poses. Good, basic work.

Of course, in my morning's rush, I had left the camera at home. Darn! Oh well, maybe next time.

In the afternoon, I attended Jen Hecht's workshop on backbends - my new favorite poses! Well, maybe not yet, but each time I push up I like urdhva dhanurasana more.  The ud's are pretty dependable now - as in, 95% of the time I can push up. Now, on to refinement. The workshop's focus was making these poses more accessible.  Matt Newman was working with Jen, and they both emphasized the work the shoulders and shoulderblades must do in these poses, with some quad/leg and lower back preparation thrown in. The major backbends -- urdhva dhanurasana and eka pada rajakapotasana.

Fun stuff, and I pushed up again. Plus, I had a good sense of the shoulders, shoulder blades, heart lifting, etc., in epr.  Didn't make it to my foot, yet, but it felt good.

Home - do a bit of re-establishment of our household. Not so fun, but necessary.

Today:
    More household stuff this morning
    Taking an 'aspen break' mid-day, plus lunch at Sundance (our anniversary celebration)
    Instructor meeting later today

Hope your Sunday is a great one,

No comments: