Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MORE (when you least expect it)

My week has been busy and a great learning experience for me.  To catch you up from Sunday, we did 'do lunch' at Sundance -- nice drive over on the Alpine Loop. I think we were a bit early for the aspens; maybe one more week and they'll peak, but we are entering a busy time with few weekend days for this activity - it was now or next year!?!?!

And, the house begins to take shape. Big furniture cleaned around and under, and moved back into place. Pictures hung back in their 'homes'. Reassembling a little more each day.  I'm also cleaning out as I go -- going to have a 'good stuff' sale Sunday morning (dislike the energy of the wording 'garage sale').

Inbetween, I run down to the studio to teach a class or to catch up on studio paperwork. Classes have been good this week.  I taught a private on Monday - a nice couple who have a fun, slightly sarcastic sense of humor (my kind of people). If I dish it out, I better expect it back; and vice versa. During the banter that happens between students and teacher, it becomes apparent what kind of interaction may be best -- for this couple, my age (actually, she's younger & he's a couple years older) and coming from a conservative upper middle class (or upper) social strata, I will gradually introduce the many philosophical concepts I've learned. I find that if I push it all at some students right away, I risk pushing them away. The introduction is more gradual for these students; I stick to basic alignment and movement.  I love, tho, that he is still calling his mat his 'sanctuary' and, I think, he's truly thinking of it that way.

Monday evening I made the trek to Park City (it's actually only 20 miles of open freeway and a little town driving from my house) for Tiffany Wood's class at The Shop.  For those of you in the area, I highly recommend experiencing a few of her classes.  She is able to teach a very technically sound class AND incorporate the languaging, heart quality, theme, etc., all through it. As I'm practicing, I find myself thinking "I've got to remember that"; then, I get lost in the moment and movement and forget. Enough of it sticks, tho, that I feel inspired the whole rest of the week to at least throw a few attempts at languaging at the class -- and, each time, it gets a bit easier.  Those of you who teach (or practice) Anusara® yoga will understand.  For others -- languaging involves the use of descriptive wording to weave a theme throughout the class to motivate, inspire, empower students.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I subbed Wayne's class. The group is growing and people are figuring out that he teaches at The Yoga Center; hence, the two new-to-the-studio students in the group.  All but one, very experienced yogis. The one new-new student is very physically adept, making it hard to tell that he had never done yoga before.

Then it was home to do some more assembly and household bookkeeping, before returning to the studio for Yoga Hour (4 pm). 9 - count'em NINE - in the room for that class. I left feeling great. So much fun to teach a larger group (at 4 pm, no less). Interesting phenomenon -- at 3:58pm, I sat in the office thinking 'well, maybe no one will show this afternoon', then the door began opening and closing, opening and closing.  We started about 4:05, and a couple more straggled in -- interesting!

Today?
   Gentle Yoga at 10 am at The Yoga Center
   My own private with Adam - working on those handstands, pincha, hamstrings, quads, upper back,  
       you name it!
   I teach a private at 2:30pm
   More sorting, cleaning, re-assembling at home

Hope your Wednesday is busy and productive,

No comments: