Tuesday, September 7, 2010

PARTICIPATE IN THE CONVERSATION

FYI, I love the Forum.  What is the Forum, you ask?  If you go to the 'community' page of the Anusara® website, then click on Forum, you'll see.

To summarize, the Forum is a place where we, as teachers and students of Anusara® yoga, can ask questions, make comments, and answer questions.

I have participated several times.  Why?  Because I view the Forum as a learning process.  I can ask a question, if I'm stumped about a teaching or therapeutic issue. I can also offer my experience to others, my knowledge.  And, if I don't know the answer, well - it's another learning process as I research, go through old notes trying to find something that will be of help to the person asking.

What is a problem with the Forum?  Lack of participation is a big one, in my book.  I notice many questions go unanswered for long periods of time.  The intention of the site is to bring us (as teachers and students of Anusara®) forward to answer; however, who wants to stick their neck out; who wants everyone to see just how much they may know (or, worse, how much they don't know)?

Yesterday, I had an e-mail conversation with a Certified Anusara® instructor about just this issue. He summarized it all beautifully, and I'll quote one sentence here:

"I think the best thing we can do is turn these questions into conversations -- so that we all feel supported by our community of teachers."

Spoken like a true Anusara® yoga instructor. And, it did the trick -- I turned back to the Forum this morning and answered a question (actually, a 'nerdy yoga quiz'). I participated in the conversation. As I did it, I learned not only about the topic at hand, but also some side issues became clearer.  Now I wait.  Hoping that the asking instructor will offer positive, explanatory 'enhancements' (my word for 'correction'). But, even if multiple enhancements are needed, I will have learned so much more.

And, I will have participated in the conversation.  I will have stepped out of my 'comfort zone'. I will learn.

If you're reading this and are curious about the Forum -- check it out.  You may be able to help someone, you may find it a resource for an unanswered question, you may participate in the conversation.

Have a good Tuesday,

No comments: