Monday, September 6, 2010

PARTY'S ALMOST OVER ...

'Party' meaning my time away from the routine of studio management and teaching.  It's been two weeks! I think the last time I spent this much time away was 4 years ago - a three week mega-vacation abroad.

Today, we'll begin our journey back to SLC - just 5 hours, but it seems like a journey.  I've begun reading a book titled "Travels With Max". It's written by a 'local' (resident of Jackson Hole), who is a retired educator and who marked the 50-year anniversary of John Steinbeck's "Travels With Charley" by repeating the journey. His intent was not to do it exactly as Steinbeck did it (this author's dog is a tiny, while maltese; rather than a standard poodle among other variations), but still to observe Americans and what differences there may be when compared to Steinbeck's observations.  I began reading last night, in front of a fire - I think it's going to be an enjoyable book.  Writer has a bit of a sense of humor, and a sense of purpose.

In the first chapter of the book, he quotes Steinbeck (and, I include this for my friend, Sandra - who is setting off on her own journey this week):

"Once a journey is designed, equipped and put in process, a new factor enters and takes over. A trip, a safari, an exploration is an entity different from all other journeys. It has personality, temperament, individuality, uniqueness. A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the-glass bum relax and go along with it."

Come to think of it, this quote applies to me (and maybe to you). As I move along my journey towards Certification, I find it is very much out of my control. Oh, I decided when to apply, when to take my written test, when to video classes; but there is so much more that is out of my control. Like family crises, personal needs, lifestyle shifts, etc., etc., etc.

I mentioned this to Christina -- that my life had taken a radical turn from calm towards complications once I applied for Certification, and it seemed that every issue that could present itself, was being thrown in my path to be dealt with. Her reply "yes, everyone seems to experience that". So, I guess I'm not unique.

I am on a journey that requires equanimity (new favorite word). I am not in control, though I will keep moving back to the path each time something tries to bump me off. My goal is to become a Certified Anusara® yoga instructor. I've done my homework, I'm continuing my studies; but - ultimately - the journey to this goal is uniquely mine with its own personality -- it's taking me and I will just relax and go along with it. Happy to be on the journey.

Safe travels, Sandra.  Remember equanimity, Leslie.

Have a nice Sunday, y'all.

No comments: