Sunday, October 24, 2010

#499

Yesterday's class (Saturday) was one where I felt really connected to a new voice, yet still teaching and still doing all the same 'stuff'.  What do I mean?

Well, it was interesting to hear myself offer instructions, and - while offering these instructions - interlace them with verbiage supporting my theme, heart quality, UPA's, etc. It all seemed to click. The problem? Not enough people in the room to do a viable video (one that the Certification Committee will accept). But, no matter. I am so happy that things are finally falling into place; it's kind of like my 'urdhva feeling' -- a whole new world is opening to me.

My theme yesterday centered around Desire-Study-Work (also known as Attitude-Alignment-Action). I went back through notes and found that during this past year these three elements have been the topic of some key teachings I've received.

First, from John -- our desire fuels our practice. When we move from this desire; a place of focus, many things become possible.  Second, from Desiree -- study and practice the basics. Her point? We don't have to do the many challenging poses every time we go to the mat; they are always available to us to attempt or accomplish, if we are well-schooled in the basics.  Third, from Christina -- do the work. Practice, get on your mat push yourself a bit further than is comfortable once in a while, do the work.

Oh, I learned tons of other stuff this year, but these three fit right into what I hoped to teach yesterday morning.  Desire brought them to class; study keeps them coming to class; and work -- well, we lengthened lunge and down dog stances, we worked some backbends (difficult for some in the room), we tried ustrasana (camel) without resorting to one hand on the foot, then the other -- both hands hit the feet at the same time.  I didn't necessarily ask for this, tho I did suggest it -- their desire to do the pose incorporating the UPA's and truly lengthening into the backbend (study), resulted in each doing Ustrasana, both hands moving to the feet at the same time while the rest of their body's remained in good alignment (the work).

I also had a little side-learning experience.  One student, who has had a back injury, commented after the first attempt at just moving part of the way up and back into Ustrasana (camel), that her body was shaking all over.  I decided to give a little assist and - sure enough - as she began to rise with my hands on her ribcage, she did begin to tremble all over (FYI, she was not in any pain.).  Once her hands reached her heels, the trembling stopped. It began again, as I assisted her up and out of the pose.  All I can figure is that her body is fearful of the potential for pain in backbends. It doesn't matter that we are applying the UPA's to prevent injury. The body knows what hurting the back felt like; it doesn't want to go there again, hence the response (the shaking). I think that, as she works the UPA's, and her body comes to accept that this movement does not result in a painful experience, the shaking may subside.  We'll see.  Interesting!

Today?

  • Enjoying my son, my daughter-in-law and my grandsons
Hope you have a nice day,

No comments: