Friday, October 22, 2010

POST #497

I've unexpectedly arrived at post #497 !  Send up the fireworks, it's a monumental moment (well, in 3 more posts), as I will reach 500! Then, I'll order the printed archive -- just for my own memory's sake.

It's also Friday - my favorite day to post. I love just typing snippets of information; no big, overall message to think about.  Just bullet points of the week, plus a tip, and we call it good.

And, it's been a great week -- each day with a highlight to share.  Now, let's see if I can remember:

1.   Monday - Class with Tiffany was the highlight. Adhikhara setting the stage for my teaching this week, as I was reminded of the importance and value of paying attention to the details, of refinement and discipline in my practice.

2.    Tuesday - I attended another class, this one with Wayne. (p.s. both Wayne and Tiffany were mentored into and through the Certification process by Jamie Allison)  It was a smaller group than Tiffany's, so we were able to get a bit more individual attention and there was more banter (very important questions, NOT small talk) during the class.  Four urdhva dhanurasana's (backbends), one with feet on blocks (now, that's another first for me!).  We went to the wall with chairs (chairs at wall for stability), and tried the same pose with our feet on the chair seat.  Made it to the top of my head. Not disappointed -- I couldn't do that a couple weeks ago.

3.   Wednesday - the fun (and growing) Gentle Yoga class.  What more can I say?  I love this group of people who have given me their trust. Such a gift!

4.   Thursday - Highlight? Semi-private with somewhat-stiffer-than-most couple. It is great to be with people as they discover that yoga is not a bunch of whoo-ey (sp?). Those were their words, plus: "A while back, I would have listened to you and said bull____. Today, I feel all the things you are talking about; there is something about yoga I can't explain." I just smiled and said "magic" in a small, wistful voice. Then, I applied all my muscle strength to both of their VERY tight shoulder blades!  Whew.

5.   And, Friday?  Well, we'll see who shows for Gentle Yoga. Then some practice - working on the stuff Adam showed me earlier in the week, plus doing some things to re-open that upper back of mine.

6.  My 'tip' for the week?  I've worked consistently with the breath since returning from the therapy training with Sundari. I turned to those notes, and immediately read this: 


Wherever you go in this movement, are you in the flow of prana?  Are you aware of the breath in transition?  The sign of an advanced practice is this awareness.  How is prana flowing?  Are you receiving your breath?  Are you giving back?  Thru awareness we discover ways to collaborate with the breath. We must be the example; it moves thru us to others. 


I love that I don't have to put my foot behind my head (or do any number of other challenging poses), in order to feel that I am moving towards an advanced practice. It's not just about being 'advanced', but knowing that when I place hands mindfully, or breathe with purpose and intention, I move to a more refined place in my practice, I feel very good.  Because, I know what it feels like to struggle with a pose for 12 years and then to have it break loose, like a dam breaking open. What's good about that -- that the 12 years created enough awareness in me that I can know what was holding me back and what it took to move over the threshhold. It wasn't easy; it was worth it.  


Friday's Events:
  • 10 am, Gentle Yoga at The Yoga Center
  • Practice
  • Whatever happens, happens
Enjoy your Friday,

No comments: