Tuesday, October 19, 2010

ADHIKHARA

I did all the things on yesterday's list, including attend Tiffany's class last night.  Another great offering, filled with her great languaging, a bit of inspiration from Jaime Allison's weekend workshop, and a supportive group of students (including me).

Her theme? You guessed it, adhikhara, the Sanskrit word for studentship.

For me, adhikhara has always been foremost in my mind -- maybe that's a reflection of being raised in a military household. When being taught something, we listened and then we did exactly as told. Yoga is not so rigid as my upbringing, but I do listen and I do carry out instructions to the best of my ability.

For example, it just took one time with John for me to fully embrace the hand placement and significance of the commitment to that placement in my practice. You will not see my hands move when palms are on the floor, for example moving from down dog to plank to the floor to cobra and back to down dog.  It won't happen, not in my hands. (And, some faithful readers will remember there is a way to adjust the placement without lifting your knuckles and/or fingertips; because, sometimes, adjustment is needed.)

So, we moved skillfully through class last night. We were reminded about active feet (think mantra: activate your feet and legs by lifting and spreading your toes, hold that energy and with strong legs inner spiral, scoop tailbone, root and rise). We were asked to stay steady in our hands. And, we were skillfully reminded that we were in a classroom setting and that - while we each are our own teacher - we must respect the person in the seat of the teacher (one funny saying -- 'all you peripheral poachers, take your top arm back to your hips' -- an instruction given to bring everyone into unison as we opened the body to modified vasisthasana without taking the top arm up).

How easy is it to be in a class, listening, following, then all of a sudden there's this sudden burst of 'how about if I do this' -- which, by the way, was NOT asked for by the instructor. I find it challenging, sometimes, to just do what I'm asked to do; to really listen; to wait. I remind myself that waiting and listening are all part of an advanced practice - that usually does the trick and brings me back to being attentive to the person in the seat of the teacher!

Great class, great for me to experience these instructions that - while seemingly innocuous - when carried out well, bring out the advanced practitioner in all of us.

Today's plan:
  • 9:30 am - Level 1-2 with Wayne at The Yoga Center
  • Noon - Pilates with Cindy (I remembered)
  • 2:30 pm - Private session taught by me at The Yoga Center (think shoulders & neck)
  • 4:00 pm - Yoga Hour, taught by Lindsay at The Yoga Center
  • Time to get the other car washed?  We'll see.  
Enjoy your Tuesday, 

No comments: