Friday, October 1, 2010

FABULOUS FRIDAYS

Well, what better title for a post as I sit looking out at the morning sky, the lights of the city sparkling back at me through CLEAN windows.  Good stuff!

Despite the cleaning, re-alignment of household articles, and sorting that I've been doing, I have to say it's been a good week. I've accomplished a lot at home, I've taught some great classes with wonderful students,  and the private sessions I've taught have been 'over the top'.

Here's the weekly rundown, in case you just read this on Fridays for the 'tip':

1.   Saturday's private was fun (this is the one I almost forgot!?!??!) - client new-to-yoga and struggling with chronic fatigue and a back/neck issue.  I find as I work with this person that the breath and the action of moving from our heart, our core, are very powerful. Chronic fatigue watch out, as we work with these two elements.

2.   Sunday -- house stuff and lunch with Howard (husband) at Sundance, after a leisurely drive through the Alpine Loop enjoying the Fall color.

3.   Monday -- more house stuff (broken record), then a semi-private session with the stiffer-than-some couple.  This was their second session with me and they were more relaxed (as was I).  We moved, we laughed a bit, we shared one or two sarcastic comments (yes, an Anusara-Inspired™ instructor can be sarcastic - in the right setting). I suppose you could say that's the chemistry between student and teacher evolving; we learn about each other, our likes and dislikes, our tolerance for jokes, our desire to be serious and hard working. From that knowledge, I can begin to interlace the teaching and the teaching becomes more meaningful, for me and them.

Then, class with Tiffany. Like I said earlier - language, technical skill, theme/heart quality, fun, feeling good --- all were present during and after class.

4.  Tuesday -- subbed for Wayne, more house stuff (br -broken record), back to teach the huge (for me and for 4 pm) Yoga Hour class. Yoga Hour's have evolved into a fun, relaxed 60 minutes of yoga. We just do it, and it appears to be working. Teachers and students love it.

5.  Wednesday -- house stuff (br), Gentle Yoga, my own private session with Adam, the second (but, third overall) semi-private for the stiffer-than-some-but-getting-looser couple (I even got a joke with Cajun accent, no less). A very rewarding day.

6.   Thursday -- tons of house stuff (br), then Pilates, then another Yoga Hour class. FYI, Leslie has been on a diet of sorts (actually, just cutting down on the amount and changing the type of food I eat), and I've lost about 12 pounds. Everything -- house stuff, yoga, pilates -- everything gets easier without those extra pounds.

7.   So, it's Friday -- taking a moment to write this before some more house stuff (br), before going in to teach Gentle Yoga. We worked spanda Wednesday; maybe we'll go for purna today -- full on, perfect, complete (with some spanda thrown in).

8.   Tip:  I remember when I started teaching, how easy it was to teach -- to talk, to do, to move through a practice. I often rarely looked at the students. Probably because it was hard to speak and describe without doing. Also, I now realize, it's hard to look at students who are looking back at you with questioning gazes, grimaces, perhaps a smile now and then.

I started the process of NOT practicing with students by simply removing the mat from my teaching space.  I have 2 blankets on which I sit during the beginning and during savasana.  I also place the props I want students to use next to the blankets. (That way when students arrive, they can see what they may need, and they prepare their space similarly (though they do have a mat).) The rest of the time I am up, moving in and around students. Occasionally I demo or ask someone to demo a pose. I rarely do the poses. One exception - a new student -- then I will do a few things, but not much.

And, thank goodness, standing up and taking in the class gets easier. I serve the students better - they know I'm watching. It also becomes fun to field the gazes, grimaces, smiles, etc. -- why? it expands my comfort zone boundaries a lot. Love it.

Today?
     Gentle Yoga, 10 am at The Yoga Center
     More house stuff (br)
     Practice with Jen at 5:40 pm, back at The Yoga Center

Enjoy your fabulous Friday,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea to place the props they will need next to your seat.