Saturday, October 30, 2010

FRIDAY FORGOTTEN

I awoke this morning with this blog on my mind. And, what was I thinking? That I had forgotten to post yesterday. Not necessarily forgotten - I thought about it; I just was juggling many things in the morning, so decided to pass. I forgot, however, that it was Friday and my favorite day to post. Otherwise, I might have done differently.  Oh, well.

So, imagine it's Friday and you are reading this on Friday morning or afternoon.

I believe I mentioned my week actually began on Wednesday (perhaps that could be my excuse!?!?!), due to our journey to play with Grandsons last weekend.  It will be a short week's worth of 'notes'. But a week worthy of comment, because I now know people are listening.

Wednesday, as I have done for the past 3 years, I taught Gentle Yoga. It was a snowy morning, which makes attendance questionable - as in, some may choose to stay inside. Happy to see many turned out and even happier when one mentioned her ankle was a bit stiff. Her words "the chi seems to be stuck in my ankle".  Well, I had talked about Prana (or chi) the week prior; as in, when the prana can move easily through the body, we feel good. Why would this make me 'happier'? To have a student use a word they haven't heard or used in their 60+ years of life, means they are listening.

Later on Wednesday (and again on Thursday), I taught the semi-private I have mentioned before (the couple who are both a bit stiff). Good for them -- trying to get in some classes before they head out of town for a couple weeks. And, good for them, that they are practicing what we work on in class at home.  The result -- after Wednesday's session, he is beginning to notice and move his shoulder blades on demand; she is working on "owning" the pose.

What do I mean by "own" -- in this situation, she is flexible enough to place hands flat on floor with straight legs. Rather than do that, I asked her to come to fingertips and bend elbows out to side, accessing shoulderblades and maybe moving more deeply into the fold. I asked her to 'own' the pose. She can do it very well, why not do it with a bit more finesse. Sounds silly as I write it, but in the context of this couple, it works -- and, that is what I look for in students - a way to connect. I think she will continue to work well in this pose and the concept of 'owning' it will serve her (might not serve everyone, tho).

Thursday also included pilates.  I was alone with Cindy, which means she made me work hard.  Usually my jacket doesn't come off until mid-way into the session. This time, jacket off after the first movement series.  Good session.  Then, back to the studio for the semi-private you already heard about. And, then Yoga Hour.  A small group, but fun, nevertheless.  Some of my first students from when I started the class attended; great to connect with them.

Friday, another Gentle Yoga class.  As usual, a smaller group. What does that mean? Well, one of two things -- we either work harder or we work more gently. This week, it was a blend; with a little bit of camel thrown in -- just to see if the hyoid bone lesson had sunk in.  And, for me, there was the residual good feeling from a note in which a student had told me the benefit my offerings to them about the breath was having for her (something she has known for a long time, but has embraced as she began attending class regularly). More proof people are listening!

What tip can I offer after this week?  A simple one.  There was a student in class this week with a sore hip. Young, active person, who runs.  I asked what she could observe about recent activity -- nothing out of the ordinary.  I mentioned that most problems begin with the feet and that the hip may be reacting to her running shoes - were they worn down? No, she just bought new ones. Well, how about if the new shoes are putting her back into better foot alignment, therefore the hip is being asked to readjust and is just 'telling' her about how the change is affecting it (the hip). After class, she came up to tell me that she is a 'pronator' by nature, and is trying to over-compensate to correct that issue. Maybe that's part of the problem. If possible, someone should watch her run (in the new shoes), and tell her what the right foot is doing -- that may answer the hip issue.  What's the tip?  Look at the whole person when offering therapeutic advice, and start with the feet - especially when looking at an issue in the lower body.

AND -- I share my good moments with my teachers. I've had a couple reminders lately that my teachers need to know - just like I need to know - that the teachings are being received and embraced. They deserve the credit, as much as I do. After all, they taught me.

Today?  R&R (fighting off a slight cold -- expecting that it will either resolve itself or move into a full-blown, sneezing, stuffy, sore throat condition).

Hope your Saturday (Friday?) is a good one,

1 comment:

Nan said...

I always enjoy and appreciate your offerings.
Thank you!