Friday, November 5, 2010

NO FORGETFULNESS TODAY!

Not forgetting that it's Friday. And, what is Friday?  NOTES DAY !!!

It's been a good week overall.  Started a bit off-kilter with my arrival back in SLC on Monday afternoon - weeks that start differently than normal leave me wondering each day -- what's next? what day is it? where do I need to be?

Here are highlights:

1.  Monday night, Support Group for PSP Patients and Caregivers, where I was asked to give some introduction to yoga and the help it can provide to this group.  For the PSP patients, yoga offers community; a sense of doing something in response to a disease that must leave most feeling helpless. FYI, PSP is a disease in the Parkinson's family in which the brainstem is gradually destroyed. Some symptoms/manifestations of the disease:  balance issues that result in falling without warning; dizziness; flat affect (expression-less); apathetic; eye and eyelid involvement; trouble swallowing (the cause of PSP is unknown and treatment - ?).  For the caregivers, same thing -- a community in which to move, perhaps laugh a bit, and stay healthy; because they have a BIG job.

For me, an opportunity to work with people who are dealing with so much; yet, there was laughter in the room and an appreciation for the breathwork and movement we all did together.  A heartwarming moment - to see so many caregivers in the room; family and friends - good stuff!

2.   If it's Tuesday, it's Wayne's class.  Fun and - because of class make-up and colds in the room (mine and his) - low-key. We worked with inner and outer spiral, finding the place in the middle.  Because of my cold, I took time to rest after the class.

3.  And - Wednesdays?  Gentle Yoga, of course.  More work with the breath.  An almost-moment where Leslie breaks into uncontrolled giggling during VERY serious pranayama (tongue-in-cheek comment). We were somewhat serious, and we were doing bastrika (bellows) breathing.  I had described it as sounding like a bull getting ready to charge. Thinking about that, I happened to open my eyes during the 30 seconds we were doing the breathwork, caught the eye of another student - also on the verge of a 'giggle attack'.  Almost.

4.  Thursday's highlight was Pilates with Cindy -- I often use this class as a descriptive metaphor for new students (or students being introduced to a new pose). Why? Well, the first time Cindy asks me to 'hang out' over thin air, above springs or whatever, I have been known to panic. I can easily see new students thinking "what do you want me to do?" and "how am I supposed to do that?", when asked to do something totally foreign with their bodies in my yoga classes. This Pilates experience has given me much to draw on in this regard --

Another highlight for Thursday -- Yoga Hour!  A fun class with several experienced and one new-to-yoga person.  We stuck with the basics - moving in and out of lunges, down dog, child's pose, Warrior I; and making a brief foray into bakasana, for the more experienced. The new-to-yoga person gave it a try -- good for her!

5.  And, today?  More Gentle Yoga. More 'in the middle'. With this group, I usually have a couple plans in my head. There are several who have knee, back or other issues; so what I teach is many times dictated by the students attending class.

6.  This is more of an awakening than a 'tip' -- when reading the video self-evaluation form (the new one - if you haven't checked it out), there is one question that surprised me.  I know that we are teaching all 5 principles all the time, but I also was under the impression that we teach one (maybe two, if we are capable) primarily during a class. So, the 5 principles are always there; we are emphasizing one in our class -- and it needs to be one that represents the heart quality / theme / story in your teaching.  Here's a question that 'stumped' me -- "did you 'touch on' all five principles in approximately half the poses throughout the class?" Answer (by me on this video): No; couldn't say yes, had to tell the truth.  I probably did it on 20% of the poses.

What reminded me of this?  A note from an Intensive with JF in which I'd written this:


- - - - -

Pidgeon, applying the 5 principles in a celebration theme:
  1. open to grace – breathe, enjoy the expansion of your back leg; soften, take a breath and accept yourself.
  2. muscle energy (ME) – hug in to acknowledge your effort; embrace your talents, skills.”
  3. inner spiral (IS) – expand, open to your own greatness and begin your celebration
  4. outer spiral (OS) – draw in again to your power
  5. organic energy (OE) – from that power source, offer full celebration 
IMPORTANT NOTE:  Attach theme and heart quality to the alignment principle that reflects the energy desired (i.e. celebration is an expansive theme, so we would place theme emphasis on the principles that are expansive, inner spiral (IS) & organic energy (OE).

- - - - - 


So, it can be done without being rote or mechanical - open to grace, apply muscle energy, inner spiral, outer spiral, extend organically.  It can be done with my language skills, and - if I do it as the example shows, I could apply it to 50% of the poses -- I just need to remember to do it!

The form, I find, is very valuable when planning and thinking about classes.  I also get little reminders while I'm teaching, like "am I serving everyone?", or "am I modulating my voice?" -- these come from the questions I've read on the form.  And, as I completed this, my first, self-evaluation form, it became very clear what I need to work on.

So, as much as we don't enjoy video'ing and watching ourselves teach; there are learning elements in that process for us.  Duh!  Why would we expect anything else from JF?

Today's schedule:

  • Gentle Yoga at 10 am at The Yoga Center
  • Continue to nurse this cold, which feels a bit better today
Enjoy your Friday, I plan to enjoy mine . . .

No comments: