Friday, December 24, 2010

CHRISTMAS EVE NOTES

The word 'integrity' has served me well as I've taught for the past 2 weeks. And, each time I use the theme or idea, it gets more clear in my mind -- just have to remember there are students who heard it last week, so change it up a bit (which has happened naturally).

As I taught YogaHour last night, my closing statement was "I love the phrase 'you cannot afford, for even a moment, to be out of integrity' ". When I first said it, it felt awkward, as if some words besides 'out of' ought to be used. This morning tho (and the past few days), it feels just right; as though my thought process has wrapped itself around the wording and is embracing it. The quote, remember, is one I found in Scott Marmorstein's blog.
So, now - to coin Sundari - why do I love the phrase and why does it matter to me or anyone that the phrase exists, what it might mean to them or that I love it. Wow! Why did I write that? That's a challenge to answer and to answer clearly.
One of the great betrayals for me is untruth (aka lying). I notice that I am able to forgive people for many things; lying not so easy. Integrity is the foundational piece of being an honest, upright person. And, how does this paragraph apply to the 'why'?
On the yoga mat, if I do not practice with integrity (meaning applying principles, not taking shortcuts, feeling the pose -- all pieces and parts of it), I will not be satisfied with the outcome of my efforts. Better I do the basics well than skip a step just to get to the end result.
We talked about that in YogaHour -- in attendance were some well-schooled yoga practitioners and a couple instructors. We worked towards padangusthasana. Many of us (present company excluded) are able to grab our foot and extend the leg easily (I am able to do it only when when very well warmed up). As I looked at these students in the pose, I asked them to step back; to forfeit the leg way high in the air and - instead - move the thigh of their standing leg towards back plane of body, assure their hips were level, side body long, heart and head lifted. After a bit of adjustment from them, I reviewed the poses -- truly these poses sang. Best part, I could see one person actually admiring herself in the reflection from a window -- beauty pose.
In life, the same thing happens -- when I move from a place of stability, steadfastness, not forgetting -- I am more confident, I am more caring, I see beauty in many things I might otherwise overlook. Life becomes more meaningful.
Well, not sure if I did it, if you - a reader - understands why never stepping out of our integrity is a practice to embrace. But, I'm clearer on it to myself; that means I'll be able to communicate it better to others, when I decide to use a similar theme in the future.
I was thinking I didn't offer a 'tip' last week, so went to some notes (3/09 Intensive). First page I read lists the 6 qualities of a good teacher. As you read these, remember the word 'integrity' -- it's in each one:
  1. Adhikara -- always a great student
  2. Humility -- honor our teachers; the source of our knowledge
  3. Trustworthy -- do not waver in our conviction to serve
  4. Empathetic -- sensitive to our students
  5. Burning aspiration to be the best you can be -- excellence
  6. Agile mind & intellect -- adapt, assimilate and process information quickly
Also, I use comparision a lot in my classes. Yesterday, doing a shoulder stretch (clasping hands behind hips), I asked everyone to lock their elbows BEFORE they folded and notice the resulting sensation in their back. How can shoulders open well when the back feels like that? Demo/comparison over, it was easier for people to NOT lock the elbows as they then folded. Just an observation.
Today:
  • Let the Christmas festivities begin -- I will enjoy 10 days away from teaching and managing; my grandsons will be the focus of my attention for many of those days -- looking forward to that.
May you all enjoy your Holiday / Christmas and New Year's Celebrations & be safe,

No comments: