Thursday, December 23, 2010

THURSDAY MORNING

I'm up early this morning; not sure why, we had a very nice dinner out with friends last night - meaning we got to bed late. There is an internal alarm for me that starts it's vibration about 4:15 am these days. It goes off no matter what time I turn in the night before; so, here I am.

I decided to check on Facebook this morning. Interesting to read another yoga instructor's lament about her 'lack of' stuff and how she worries it impedes her ability to teach. I do similarly once in a while.
The first time was to Sundari, when I commented about how 'silly' I must look in a class of 30-40 year olds. Her response: No, what I am is an example to the other young women in the room of just what someone 60 years old can do. She totally re-framed that thought process for me.
Two weeks ago, working with Adam in a private, I lamented my lack of flexibility and how it may affect my ability to be a really good teacher. His response: No, wrong -- that the lack of flexibility and the resultant time it takes me to approach and work into poses (i.e. urdhva dhanurasana), gives me an insight to working with students struggling with similar issues. Ahhh, another re-framing that I will embrace.
In fact, I did have an ah-ha moment during the workshop I taught earlier this month. I'm teaching; have students in baddha konasana. One student with very flexible hips asked how close feet should be to pelvis (FYI, mine are well away from the pelvis and my knees are about crest-of-pelvis height). This question stymied me for a minute -- I don't know how that feels! What do I do? Well, I punted -- asked her if, with feet that close, she could feel the energetic shift of inner and outer spiral. Her answer, yes. So, my answer -- you can place your feet as close to the pelvis as you wish, so long as you can activate and feel the spirals affect on the hips. What had just happened? Because I am tight, if I pulled my feet in that close, I would not feel or be able to initiate the spirals effectively; so, I couldn't relate.
Not sure if any of that makes sense. For me, inflexibility is now considered an o.k. thing; but I also need to remember I have a lot of learning to do from the point of view of the flexible person who comes into my classes. Like - how does it feel, for starters.
Remember, folks, it's early and the ramblings may be just that - ramblings.
Today's plan:
  • Subbing for Mary, 9 am, at The Yoga Center (interim space, 2101 Murray Holladay Rd)
  • House cleaning
Hope you have a good, productive day,

No comments: