Friday, December 10, 2010

NOTES & PLANNING

It's been a big week for me. Seven years have come to a close (a pleasant one), and I am now - as of this past Monday - officially no longer owner of The Yoga Center.

I purchased the studio in 2003, as it was slowly sinking - low attendance; low energy, etc., etc., etc. My husband was the catalyst - he knew I had practiced at this studio for several years and that I had mentioned what I would do if I owned the space. We began discussions only to walk away when it seemed there were others, more qualified, waiting to purchase it. Those did not materialize, and I stepped back in when previous owners contacted me with a deal hard to refuse and a "you buy it, or we close it" statement to back up their intention.
Still a student, and never having owned a business before, this was a big step for me (though a small, relatively speaking, transaction). Lawyer, banker, accountant, instructors, manager -- all had to be contacted and asked for input; instructors and manager, invited to remain. It was then a 'go'. Sadhant (manager) stayed for six months, then I was on my own. The rest is kind of history. Moderate, but steady growth in student population. Development of a great team of instructors - all dedicated, hard-working and skilled in their craft. And, I moved out of my comfort zone and into the role as 'instructor', as well as owner/manager.
Now, it passes to Sheldon & Lyndsey, who have new energy and will re-invigorate the space through that energy and a bit of renovation. Good stuff. No regrets. Looking forward to the next phase.
The rest of my week? Peaceful - taught several classes, taught a couple semi-privates, and had a wonderful private session with Adam. I marvel at the knowledge of that man and wonder if I ever will be able to look at a person suffering from some minor back discomfort (me); put them in uttanasana, discern that one side of their lumbar is a bit elevated, then put the person through the paces to determine what might be the cause (hamstring?, psoas?), give them a recipe of work to do, and send them on their way to feeling better!!! Another best part? I actually did some of the 'recipe' on my own yesterday, not to mention my back feels much better!
Interestingly, I had my first-ever comment that the Anusara® chant made someone uncomfortable. Unfortunately, that person attended a class where the chant has become part of our routine, and I didn't spend time explaining or defining it. That might have helped defray the discomfort.
Sundari once told me she had success explaining to students that they ought to think of it as the 'cheer' we hear at high school and college football games; bringing us onto the mat; getting us ready for a wonderful practice. I have used that, at times.
Most often, tho, I ask people to think of it as an acknowledgment of themselves -- if it weren't for some 'inner teacher', they wouldn't be in class - doing yoga - improving their lives. And, that teacher is always there, always beautiful, always ready to teach us -- if we will just listen.
Then, as I was looking through notes, I came across this entry from an Intensive with JF:
"Why do we chant? To come back to cohesion with one another. To remind ourselves of the good within us and within others."
Another good reason -- there are probably a ton of good reasons and definitions out there. The key, I believe, to my students embracing the chant is how I present it. That includes looking at the audience; and try to determine their receptiveness to chanting something in an unknown language, for which the definition is laced with philosophic meaning. What do I mean? The definition is fine - if your mind works like that; if your mind embraces philosophy. I still read the formal definition and wonder - what, exactly does that mean? Because, literally, some days things are clearer than on other days -- that's the way my brain works.
So, when I look at the people I am teaching, I have a to do a bit of mental calculations -- for this group, how will the chant be received? I choose, in most cases, to keep it simple -- to go back to the 'inner teacher' definition. Most students understand that - it relates to their own intuition.
Just my thoughts on the chant. Would love to hear about other experiences.
Here's another notation from the same training that I will find useful: "What happens when we 'center'? We remember that this is a path of both effort and grace." I am always looking for new ways to explain what becomes routine to me, as an instructor. I am sure people wonder what the purpose of sitting for a few moments at the start of a practice serves. After all, why not just 'get in there and move'?
About planning (in the title of this post) -- that relates to the workshop tomorrow. Excited, a bit nervous, but - once I have a plan, I'm sure it will flow just fine.
Today?
  • Gentle Yoga at 10 am at The Yoga Center
  • 3 pm EST call with The Handel Group (as excited and nervous about this as the workshop!?!?!?!?)
  • Plan, plan, plan
Have a GREAT Friday,


No comments: