Wednesday, February 2, 2011

90 MINUTES . . .

Two of my continuing education endeavors begin this week - '90 Minutes to Change the World' and 'Srividyalaya'.

In fact, Amy Ippoliti's '90 Minutes to Change the World' began yesterday. This course is meant to restore 'glory' to the yoga teacher in the trenches -- meaning the yoga teacher that faithfully teaches each week; the teacher that builds yoga skills in students so that these students are confident and able to attend workshops and trainings with the 'rock stars' of yoga (those hard-working and traveling yoga instructors who arrive, push our limits a bit, then move on to the next 'gig'). This is NOT a revolt against those 'rock stars', just a re-recognition of the importance of the stay-at-home yoga instructor -- intended to give us information and tips to grow and cultivate our skills and classes.
It's a 'webinar' - something I haven't done before. Tried to log in unsuccessfully; not necessarily my fault, tho -- everyone was being challenged by the technology. Because I had limited time, I gave up and moved on to other activities, so will download and view it this afternoon.
I am, however, getting feedback through Facebook -- sounds like people are happy and excited about the potential of this course to affect their teaching careers. Good stuff!
One of the commitments Amy has made during this teaching endeavor of hers, is to attend a public class 5 days a week during the month of February. It sounds as if she has asked participants in the webinar to join her - to attend more classes during each week of this educational effort. More good stuff! Why? I don't see a lot of yoga teachers in classes. Oh, the new-to-teaching teachers are there, taking notes and listening carefully. The more experienced instructors? Not sure where some of those are (speaking of SLC, here). Perhaps they do a home practice faithfully, or ___?___.
Personally, I admit I have used the excuse "I have too much to do to attend class today; besides, I taught 2 classes. That should be good." (More true confessions on blogspot.com.) I've also used the reason that I'm just too tired; fact is, if I went to class, I probably would feel better - not so tired. Just a counter argument to that reason.
So, I will continue to attend classes - kick it up a notch, try to ignore the excuses that build in my head. There's a ton to learn from attending someone else's teaching; I know that, and the support I show that instructor -- that's equally important.
Today?
  • 9 am, Private
  • 10:30 am, Gentle Yoga at The Yoga Center (me teaching)
  • Srividyalaya begins tonight! "History of Hatha Yoga", here I come.
Have a great Wednesday,

No comments: