Tuesday, February 1, 2011

NEW IDEAS, NEW APPRECIATION

Yesterday went much as planned -- I did a bit of housework, then - after time on the computer - I got myself ready and zipped over to Adam's class at Steiner Aquatics. This is a class, probably best defined as 'Gentle', but looking for a name.

Just try to re-name a class from 'Gentle'. I've been trying forever and cannot come up with a better, more effective word. A word that says this is not going to be your 'kick butt' yoga class, will take into consideration limitations, will be 'gentle' yet work to increase strength and flexibility -- all the things we do in Level 1 classes, modified a bit. If anyone out there has an idea, I'd love to hear it. 'Gentle' keeps some people away, thinking they don't want to be identified with a 'gentle' class -- well, now that I've typed that, perhaps those people don't belong in the class anyway!?!?!? That thought just occurred to me. Egos.
Back to the class at Steiner. Got some great ideas for teaching. Also got a good reminder of what it means to really put on that 'beginner' mind. How tempting it was to break into a full-on version of parsvakonasana, or throw in a little vinyasa switching sides. But, the instructor (Adam) didn't ask for that, he asked for modified versions and switching sides by moving back to table. I even put some padding under my knee -- unheard of; and accepted the block he offered me (I hadn't grabbed one on my way in and his was the only spare). All this, a sign of respect for other students in the room and teacher.
It was a great learning experience for me as an instructor and as a student.
Today?
  • 9:15 am - Level 1-2 at The Yoga Center
  • Noon, Pilates
  • 2:00 pm, Amy Ippoliti's course begins (will have to download and watch it later, due to 2:30 commitment)
  • 2:30 pm, Private
Hope your Tuesday is terrific!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

how about 'foundation' instead of gentle?