Friday, February 4, 2011

ASKING FOR DIRECTION

Part of Amy Ippoliti's offering in the "90 Minutes to Change the World" program is targeted question and answer sessions (laser questions, as she called them). By that, I guess she will specifically address questions you ask that are pertinent to your situation.

So I asked the dreaded question: "how do I handle my age (61) when trying to grow my classes?" This is at the forefront of my thought process this morning. Why? I have addressed the question with my colleagues and mentors, only to be told "don't worry, you have tons of knowledge and are a good teacher".
Fact is, I am a good teacher and I am a good student. I am strong, I am committed, I am empathetic, I am smart, I'm even fun (in my mind). I have not been able, however, to keep a committed crew coming to the Level 1-2 classes that I teach. That is not the case with the other, Gentle Yoga, classes I teach; those are well attended.
Now, why do I think it could be my age? Earlier in the week, I mentioned this dilemma to a fellow instructor (younger) who has NEVER attended a class of mine. Her response? "Well, you know, I love to attend a slower class; I get lots out of them." Thank you, VERY much.
So, enough whining. It's Friday and I love Fridays, one reason being I can share a 'tip'. Here goes:
I have long struggled with just how to teach a new student pidgeon prep. I can literally spend minutes working with one student (all this while the rest of the class moans and groans away in their pidgeons). When taking Adam's class this past Monday, he has a great way to introduce the pose -- if you are curious, let me know and I'll e-mail you. So, that has had me thinking about and teaching pidgeon all this week. And, in my notes from the last Immersion (Park City, 2010) with JF, he pointed out these common misalignments for the pose:
  • Hip of front leg drops to floor
  • Lack of muscle energy in front leg
  • Hips not squared
  • Toes of back leg not flex'd under (why? using an active foot will aid in inner spiraling that back leg more effectively)
  • Beginning students will be happier with front foot closer to groin, top of 'barbie' foot pressing into the mat, ankle and foot moving in same direction as shin.
That reminds me -- I've been using a fun comparative in classes: For example, in pidgeon - set up the pose using appropriate muscle energy, breathe for a moment, then let the ME energy go from the legs. To me, and - I think - to students, it feels as though the bottom dropped out of the pose. Good demo of the power of our foundation and why it needs to stay energized as we extend up and out of it.
Today?
  • Teaching Gentle Yoga, 10:30 am at The Yoga Center
  • Errands
Have a great Friday!

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

i so miss reading your blog. i feel so behind on all the blogs i dont know where to start. but i couldnt resist when i saw you mentioned amys program. but reading this blogs thats not what i want to comment on...first your 61. I would have never guessed that. I dont think age is important but the energy, humor, level of skill... i think is phenominal! I wish i could come to your classes more. I barely make it to a studio class currently, mainly private practice and yogaglo. also will email me about how adama introduce the pose. kachelis@hotmail.com
I am excitied to read more about your program and i am excited to hear how every class you teach gentle and advance continue to grow!!