Tuesday, February 8, 2011

CONTINUING . . .

This age thing has really been bothering me over the past few days. What made it worse, was reading that a fellow instructor's opinion is that young people - people his age - don't want to attend class with someone my age. Wow! That was not totally a surprise, but it does cause one to wonder how many people make their yoga teacher selection based on age, beauty, looks; not on knowledge. I am not saying a young, beautiful, slim yoga teacher can't also possess a lot of knowledge; by the same token, not all older yoga instructors will possess the knowledge to practice and teach yoga wisely.

But, how many times will students make that decision without even giving someone older (or younger) a chance to demonstrate what knowledge they possess? And, by doing so, what are these students missing out on? Interesting.
Even more dismal than the comment I'd heard last week about 'liking slower classes'. Enough (again).
On top of this minor dilemma, I am in the middle of 'working a deal' on my parents' home. One of the problems with selling a house right now is that it really is a buyer's market -- lots of inventory, prices low, interest rates low (but going up) -- so, a buyer makes an offer, asks for a significant price reduction, then keeps asking for more concessions. I know I love a good deal, but when is enough, enough? When do I look at the gift I'm receiving (as a buyer) and say 'wow, I'm going to have a good - albeit dated - house in a great neighborhood, with great potential; and, I'm saving enough on the purchase that I can make needed upgrades." When do I say that? or, do I just keep going back to the trough and rooting around for more. After last night's trip back to the trough, I told the realtor what to offer the buyer, and to attach the statement -- 'don't ask for more; this is the seller's limit', in other words -- the trough is empty.
I have always said, 'if you don't ask, you won't get'. However, once you receive what is asked for, how about showing some appreciation rather than asking for more?
Enough.
Why haven't I written in my blog for a few days -- because what I've written so far is, in my book, a 'downer' -- not what I'd like to read in a blog post.
Here's a bit of good news -- I've been relaying the 15 aspects of Laksmi to my Gentle Yoga student (actually 16, but the 16th is basically a summary of the previous 15 -- thank you, again, Eric S. and DBRK (Douglas Brooks)). I haven't done much of this -- carried a class through several weeks of a continuing theme. I believe they are enjoying it! And, I am having fun doing it. And, I am seeing - as I relate each aspect (sometimes it's 2 aspects per class) - that I have elements of each aspect within me, and I can safely look at my students and say the same to them -- that they each have the aspects of Laksmi in their make-up; they just haven't heard it or thought about it much before (or ever).
Monday was a quiet day. I did go in and take Adam's 'Yoga for Seniors' class yesterday morning. Felt I needed it, plus the info I'm taking away is wonderful! Why did I need it?Walking the dogs Sunday morning, I stepped on an uneven spot in the pavement and found myself on the pavement. Damage wasn't too awful, torn knee of sweatpants - skin broken and bleeding slightly; the ego damage, another story. Back at home, this was a good excuse to toss the VERY old sweatpants, take some Ibuprofen and relax in front of the Super Bowl. A bit stiff, yet I find it interesting that I fell mainly on my right knee, and the resultant sore muscles are happening in the back of that leg. Perhaps I tensed those muscles as I plummeted to the pavement, who knows. No sore neck or anything else. Today? Feeling better.
What am I learning by attending this class? How to use my 'beginner' mind; not to be anything BUT the student. (Tho, I am VERY flattered that he introduced me as an instructor of the same style as him.) I've known for a long time about the limitations some attending a class like this will display, and it's good for me to watch how another instructor handles them. For example, loud groans in the room when we lifted the knee from kneeling lunge to full runners' lunge. He acknowledged the groans ("lots of groans on that"), and moved on. I'll miss next week's class, but I also see a progression from last week to this, especially as he introduces the UPA's, without actually calling them anything - just making them part of the movement.
I shared my concerns from paragraph 1 with Adam (no names, tho). His comment: 'When you subbed for me, what I heard is that, contrary to being an easy class, yours was challenging because you asked student hold poses for longer.' Score!!!
Speaking of today:
  • 9:15am, teaching Level 1-2 at The Yoga Center
  • Noon, Pilates
  • 2:30pm, private
Hope you have a terrific Tuesday!

No comments: