Friday, February 11, 2011

NOTES DAY

Yes, friends, we are going back to FRIDAYS = NOTES DAY. A chance for me to review my notes from trainings, workshops and share a few pearls, stories, or funny stuff.

I recently read Abby Tucker's blog (1/28 post), in which she talked about the Feb. 2010 Immersion with JF in San Francisco. Specifically, she was writing about 'showing up'. Truth-be-told, I had noticed an emphasis in Abby's Facebook entries encouraging students to arrive a few minutes early for class, be on their mats and ready to begin their class with her on-time. She made it a challenge of sorts, and I could read that she achieved success, commenting how happy she was to see everyone on the mat 5 minutes prior to class start-time.
What does this have to do with 'showing up'? even if I'm late, I'm still 'showing up', right? Well, there is an underlying attitude or lack of thought/planning when I arrive late -- even though I might think "I'm showing up, what's the big deal?". That attitude could be as simple as not being organized - not allowing enough time to get ready, do the things important to me before class with a bit of extra time built it. Or, that attitude could be as pervasive as 'needing to make an entry' -- what better way to be noticed by the teacher than waltzing in late? And, I know that JF notices EVERYTHING - so a late entrance is a good way to be noticed -- NOT!
Just so you know, I am always on time; sometimes embarrassingly early.
What brought this topic up for Abby -- comments by JF about the studentship he sees as he travels the world about attentiveness (i.e. 'they' don't run out of the room at the hint of a bladder signal). I love the way he talks, weaving a message in a story, and before I know it - bam, something to think about.
I've heard this happen on other occasions. For example, in Tucson, he began to ask Darren Rhodes some questions about their first meeting -- detailed questions, even asking what they had had for dinner on the day they met. Before I knew it, came the message -- we remember what is important to us (and whether someone remembers will tell me what impact I've had). For him, meeting Darren was important; therefore, he remembers the associated events to their meeting.
How does this apply to our teaching? If I am able to remember one tiny detail about a student, I see a facial expression like, "Wow, she remembered that!" And, I have to admit, sometimes it's easier for me to remember a detail than a name!?!?!?!?
So, the point of this blog? Be on time, get to class with time enough to visit the restroom BEFORE the session begins; and if it's important to me, I'll remember.
Rambling thoughts. Abby wrote a great blog post on 'showing up'; if you're interested in more detail, go to www.yogabohemian.blogspot.com.
Today:
  • Gentle Yoga at 10:30 am (BTW, not sure why because I didn't say anything, but all these students have been in the room and on their mats on time consistently in recent weeks!)
  • A free afternoon
Hope your Friday is great,

No comments: