Tuesday, March 29, 2011

ARM BALANCES

Sunday's session with Desiree was FUN! Who thought I would say that about arm balances a few years ago. But, over time, I've learned to create a lightness that comes in very handy for this category of poses. That doesn't mean they're the most beautiful expression of a pose (or that I can even get into them), but - knowing that I must have that lightness is one step on the journey. And, that's how I work in challenging poses -- one step at a time. Conquer one thing, add a layer - like that.

Desiree's emphasis for Sunday was just that - creating lightness. And, it was fun. No pressure (at least that I felt), no expectations; just some clear instruction and variations I hadn't seen before that will give me access to some poses that have been previously unavailable (thinking of ardha bakasana and galavasana, here). Ended feeling good, at least good that I had attempted what was asked of us.
In her opening talk Sunday, she introduced a gentleman who is in his 70's and attending to regain and improve his arm balancing skills. Talk about laying out an age-related challenge -- how could I NOT attempt to do these poses, if a 70-something person was in the room attempting (and perhaps doing) them; tho I only had time to watch him do one pose. Too busy working on my own stuff. My theory has long been, 'if I don't try I'll never do'. So, try I did.
Pleased I could do the push-ups she offered up to us, as well as the ab strengtheners. Those are critical to being 'light', though not pictured in 'Light on Yoga'.
This week? Back to unpacking. We are out from town a ways, which also means lack of access of restaurants. What does that mean? More cooking. Yes, I'll have to pull out my cooking skills (?) from their hiding places and practice them, as well. And, to do that, I'll have to re-familiarize myself with the grocery stores in the area. Well, I have all the tools (appliances, pots, bowls, etc.), might as well put them to good use.
Beginning to get bids for window coverings, carpet, paint. Washer/dryer and a new trash compactor will be delivered tomorrow (yes!). Busy week here for house stuff. Once this week is done, I'll begin to look out for teaching opportunities.
Hope your day is great!

No comments: