Tuesday, April 5, 2011

FINALLY, A YOGA CLASS

Yes, I finally got off my rear end, checked websites, and drove up to Temecula (about 11 miles north of Fallbrook) for a class with Ashley Fiala, Certified Anusara® instructor, at Living Yoga.

It was a good class -- Ashley, previously unknown to me, is a welcoming, knowledgeable (of course) and funny (as in, laugh-creating) instructor who gently moved us through a 'basics' class and right into a drop back with 2 helpers (!?!?!?). She had prepped us well for this adventure, but nothing like surprise to wake a group up. All-in-all, a good experience.
I go back to the studio this morning to meet with the owner - talking about 'guest teaching' when needed, and/or class possibilities. Will keep you all posted.
What was a discovery I made in this class? That I definitely need to be more diligent in my personal practice. I felt stiff and without the normal amount of energy. I can blame it on moving, unpacking, Vitamin D depletion -- but, I just think it's mainly due to not enough time/energy expended on the mat. No excuses, no alibis.
This morning in my computer time, I discovered Elena Brower's "Mindful Smack" -- a video/blog that's short and succinctly gives her ideas on living well and authentically. Kind of like 'smacking us up side the head' with something we know, but - perhaps - have forgotten (or ignore). So far, there are 4 entries to this site, one of which is telling the truth. Hence, the previous paragraph. Truth is, I haven't been practicing enough. Truth is, I'm stiff - why? could be the move, could be other things, but I do need to admit that my physical practice of yoga has not been getting enough of my attention over the past several weeks. No excuses, no alibis.
Firsts for me this week -- I made guacamole to die for (at least, in my mind) from avocados grown in my own yard (Fuerte brand - not Haas; Fuerte's are described on one site as the 'original high quality California avocado'). What did I notice about them? The guacamole lasted 4 days, and during those 4 days it NEVER turned brown. My ingredients? 5 avocados, 1 diced tomato, about 2 tbsp. diced sweet onion, and a splash of lemon juice. Funny story? As I mashed the avocados, I thought -- "darn, I should have bought a lemon at the grocery this morning". Then I remembered - I have a tree full of meyer lemons just off the side of the garage. Duh!
Another 'first' - I picked about 2 dozen lemons, gave some to 'grand-dudes' and their parents, then made lemonade. Home-made lemonade! Excellent!!!
Today?
  • Fed'x tax materials, no matter what!
  • Temecula meeting
  • Unpack a few more boxes (for the record, yesterday I did FINALLY unpack the suitcases I arrived with)
  • Deal with realtor on sale of my parents' home (nightmare city); got to breathe deeply
Hope your Wednesday is a good one,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A great trick for keeping guacomole fresh & green is to put the pit in the guac when you store it in the fridge.