Thursday, April 28, 2011

MOVING DAY, AGAIN

This seems like a 'groundhog day' type of title, doesn't it. If you are a regular reader, you are wondering "didn't she already move?", and you are right - I did. Now, tho, I am helping my mother move and today's the day.

This is a move necessitated by finances and by a desire to have her closer to extended family. Not a move of her choice. And, I know she is not happy with the choices ahead of her. Mainly about belongings -- some can stay with her and some have to go to storage due to lack of space.
There it is, again -- aparigraha, staring me in the face. Another reminder to let go of the 'stuff' in my life.
As much as she wants the 'nice' stuff, she also wants her memories. One memory is a wood-bound scrapbook with leather lacing (that she made herself). It's about a foot thick - the leather straps allowed it to grow with time and accumulation of memories. I had seen it throughout my life, but never paid much attention to it. For her, it will offer hours of reminiscence I'm sure. As I moved it into the apartment last night, I took the opportunity to open it and look at the contents -- old news articles, old corsages, high school and lower school memorabilia, etc. All part of another life for her. As she looks through it in the coming months/years, I think it will transport her to another time of her life - when all things were happy, possible and achievable. Hopefully, it will help make this transition more easeful.
I am looking for the good in all this -- she's taken care of, she hasn't used much of the 'stuff' that's been with her during the past year, she'll be closer to people who will visit and care for her. She, unhappily, is looking at all this moving and downsizing as us taking her 'stuff' away from her. Perhaps as she settles in, with scrapbook at her side, she will appreciate some good. I can only hope and do my best.
Howard is holding down the fort in Fallbrook -- getting bids for needed projects, having little things taken care of (Bose system hooked up to TV -- things like that), working (very important to fund all these projects), running errands. Staying busy.
I will return on Saturday and will begin teaching on Tuesday -- so excited. Already thinking about what themes to use -- I've generated a lot over the past 2 months. And, I'm looking forward to Tucson in late May -- going to YogaOasis for Darren, Christina and Amy -- total TSS (Triple Shot of Shakti).
So, time to sign off and get on with the day. Wish me luck and hope you have a great Thursday!

No comments: