Monday, May 2, 2011

CLIMBING INTO THE SADDLE - FINALLY!

What, now you have a horse? No -- that is just my 'catchy' title for my first week of teaching yoga in So. California. Tomorrow is the day - first class at 10:30 am, a basic Anusara-Inspired™ class in Carlsbad. Then, up to Temecula for a 2 pm class, titled "Therapeutic/Gentle Yoga" (I understand there were people trying to attend last week -- a good thing, even tho I wasn't there.).

On Thursday, the morning will be the same - 10:30 am, basic Anusara-Inspired™ in Carlsbad. The afternoon, however, will change a bit -- 4 pm, basic Anusara-Inspired™, back in Temecula.
I think I mentioned in an earlier blog that I'm going to stick with this Tues/Thurs schedule for a while, see how it feels, and - perhaps - fill in around it. When I left Salt Lake, I had built a pretty crazy schedule for myself -- several regular private clients, plus 4 classes each week, everything on a different day/time. I felt like I was always running, and - even - forgetting at times. This will be an opportunity to start fresh and keep it simple.
Just to catch you up on my family 'stuff' - my Mother is moved. She was not happy about the smaller apartment and let us know it in her signature style -- I'd call it passive-aggressive, you might call it stomping your feet while saying "I'll just get used to it". No matter what I (or you) call it, by Friday morning she was in a better humor -- planning where to hang some pictures (something she never did at the previous apartment), and going down to the dining hall for her meals (also something she never did at the previous apartment). Everything was moved by late afternoon on Friday, some pictures were hung, and much of the moved 'stuff' was unpacked.
Saturday morning (early) I was on a plane back to Orange County (via SLC). All going smooth as silk, until I discovered I had forgotten to turn headlights off and had a dead battery. Fortunately, the tow truck arrived quickly and I was on the road south to Fallbrook by 2:30 pm (instead of 1, as I had planned). Double fortunate -- traffic was light and the drive took just an hour.
Dinner Saturday night was out with Howard - nice. And Sunday, was our first opportunity to have the grand-dudes and their cousins out for dinner (plus their parents). We have a great space outside, but no patio furniture to speak of. Instead I suggested a picnic on the grass for the kids -- you'd have thought I offered them gold or something. So fun to see that excitement.
Now, back to my post title -- about the saddle. What will my theme be? What will I teach these new-to-me (and possibly new-to-yoga) students? I think I'll need a couple plans, since they are very different populations on Tuesdays. And, even with plans, I'll need to stay flexible; teach to what appears in the room. But then, I like doing that.
Today? Carpet to be installed in our combination yoga / workout space (I've worked a deal with husband to share the room -- he gets half for his equipment; I get half for my mat. Since it's a decent sized room, I think that's a pretty good deal, considering the size of yoga mats vs. ellipticals and spin cycles.) I'll also work on ideas for tomorrow's teaching, and rest a bit. Might even take in a yoga class later today.
Hope you have a great Monday!

No comments: