Saturday, June 11, 2011

A FULL WEEK

Taught a lot this week, a good thing. Subbing (guest teaching) will increase my visibility in the two communities where I currently teach, so I am volunteering where possible and needed. Also, I finalized a brochure to leave at the 2 studios -- basically telling people who I am and giving them contact info, schedule, etc. Business cards are next.

My 2 classes in Carlsbad went well -- granted, there was just one student on Tuesday, but - she is new to yoga, enthusiastic, and very thoughtful about the practice. It was very gratifying to be her teacher on that morning. In fact, something I said or did (or, perhaps it's just under the surface) caused her to shed a few tears at the end of savasana. I know I've cried in past classes and I know others experience similar moments. It's just that I rarely have experienced it in the classes I teach. So, what to do -- I simply sat and we talked for a few moments after class -- nothing real personal, like - "why are you crying?". Instead, talked about yoga, her attentiveness and her obvious enthusiasm for the practice. I could speculate why she was teary, but until I know her better, there is no way I can know her story.
Good news - the Tuesday student returned on Thursday, as did a few others. More experience in the room; so my new-to-yoga person got to experience 'kicking it up a notch'. I was also happy that she had good examples in the room to pay attention to. And, even when offered a modification, she gave 'Wild Thing' a shot from down dog (a' la Christina Sell).
In Temecula, classes also went well. Tuesday's, which is a Gentle/Therapeutic, is doing it's job: drawing in the new-to-yoga, the students dealing with physical 'stuff' or just wanting a more gentle practice on that day. So fulfilling to work with a new student recovering from a serious car accident (fractured C1&C7 - no surgery, tho; fractured collar bone and breast bone; broken wrist stabilized by a metal plate). She came with a friend; both indicated they'd buy a pass AFTER class, once they saw how things went (in other words, did I do my job well). No pressure! And, they both bought continuing passes after the class. Whew!
Thursday's is a basic Anusara-Inspired™ class which also attracts the new-to-yoga. Fun to introduce the practice to this group.
And, on Friday, I subbed (guest taught) a class. 9 in the room, be still my heart. Challenges, tho, follow me -- 4 of the 9 were new to the practice; of the remaining 5, just one had significant yoga experience. Talk about teaching to the entire spectrum! It was fun and offered me a chance to teach to a fuller room, which takes the energy up to another level. It also required that I watch 9 foundations, instead of 2-3, and that I remember to acknowledge 9 people - not just the new-to-yoga; remember everyone wants to be noticed.
That was my yoga week. Inbetween, housework, computer work, errands, garage organization, continue unpacking (will it ever end? not if I / we don't get busy!)
Today - off to a friend's son's bride's wedding shower - an opportunity to dress up a bit, see some old friends, meet some new friends.
Hope you have a great Saturday,

No comments: