Sunday, June 5, 2011

ON LISTENING, AGAIN . . .

"Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer." - Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama


Friend, Jenny Otto, posted this quote on her Facebook page this morning. It is so appropriate, since I was in conversation yesterday, but I didn't feel part of it. Why? Because it didn't seem the people I was talking to were listening.


Huh? Ever talk to someone and find them finishing your sentences? That's what I mean.


Several months ago (or longer), I wrote a blog post on just this topic of listening; relating them to the 3 A's of Anusara® Yoga. They go like this:


Attitude - Open, receive

Alignment - Eye contact, ears open, mouth shut

Action - Listen to ENTIRE sentence or phrase; respond, if appropriate.


As in our practice of Anusara® yoga, the first 'A' (Attitude) is the key. Without an open, receiving attitude, the other two are like sails without the wind -- listless and drooping.


And, that's all I have to say about that.


Enjoy your Sunday,


No comments: