Wednesday, July 6, 2011

YESTERDAY (TUESDAY)

A good day; tho, no one came to the class in Carlsbad. Hard to admit -- that no one comes to your class; there's an element of 'shame' in it, like the repeating mantra 'I'm not good enough'. But, the new book I'm reading "The Gifts of Imperfection", advises that owning our shame is one of the first steps to worthiness. That, the less we talk about shame, the more control it has over our lives. I don't plan to let that happen.

So, yesterday - no one in Carlsbad. The good? An opportunity for a fellow teacher to ask me some questions about foot pain, knee placement and hip discomfort. JF tells us that many issues of legs, hips, back, begin with the feet. I asked her to stand in tadasana for me and observed that her tendency in the foot was to roll out (away from the foot discomfort in the ball of the big toe) - tho she was giving it her best effort to stay well grounded, her knee turned slightly in on the same leg and the hip pain is on the same side. We talked for a bit, as I watched her stand -- both from front, back and side views. The back of her knees bulged slightly, indicating hyperextension. I asked her to create more shin loop. The result? She feels like she's standing in utkatasana - chair pose (tho the legs look straight to me); and her inwardly-turned knee straightened itself out. The work, sometimes, is hard -- to control her wonderful flexibility, to make it flexibility created by strength rather than by loose ligaments. I was reminded of JF's strong admonition: when you see hyperextension, move that student out of the pose and re-align her/him before proceeding.
The Temecula class, however, was attended -- not a ton of people (like Sunday), but enough - especially since it is a Gentle/Therapeutic Class. One of the students was a nurse. A challenge, in itself, when I begin to spout the facts I know (and have read) about the physical attributes and benefits of, for example, standing with feet parallel. (How can I purport to know more than the nurse standing in front of me? Certainly confronts my belief in my knowledge - see paragraph 1.) I stood my ground on that one, even tho she'd had 30 years of dance instruction behind her that taught her to stand with toes pointing out. And, best part, she was accepting of it -- it changes her perception of her body at this point, so it is tough work; but I watched as she repeatedly brought the feet back to parallel without being prompted. Love. It.
Today? House stuff -- got to get some lingering projects taken care of, plus excited to see the man coming to measure for new carpet -- YES! Let me just say that 20-year-old carpet, while clean, leaves a lot to be desired.
Hope your Wednesday is a good one!

No comments: