Wednesday, August 17, 2011

THE SPECTRUM OF GENTLE/THERAPEUTIC YOGA

First, let me say, it was a great day for me yesterday -- both of my classes were well attended and my teaching felt confident and energetic.

This is in contrast to Monday, when my practice had a bit of a 'struggle-edge' to it (huh?). I am hopeful this corresponds to the fact that I am recovering from the surprise cold I've been dealing with -- two weeks ago, a mild sore throat; then, sore throat followed by the cough; then, into hiding (the cold); until my plane landed in Spokane for my visit with my parents -- then all 'heck' broke lose -- sneezing, nose running, stuffy for 3 days -- so pleasant!

On the mend, I went to class Monday, but felt 'weary' -- no oomph in my get-along, if you know what I mean. I did feel better at the end of the class I participated in, but I was not pleased with my energy level.
Now, to the topic referenced in the title.
My Tuesday afternoon class is attended by students struggling with 'stuff', and is titled "Therapeutic/Gentle Yoga". Whoever shows, gets a practice that I modify to whatever they are dealing with and - hopefully - gives them some insight to finding stability, more movement, less discomfort, etc. I believe I have a knack for working with this population; and I am very aware and thankful of the information passed to me from my teachers (too many to mention here), and also to the Principles of Alignment that I believe work magic.
Yesterday was no different - 3 students in the room (not a problem if this class is small; in fact, it is probably a good thing). The spectrum of physical abilities and knowledge was what I marvel at this morning. K, with a bit of back pain (and who has been in before with regards to his hamstrings - remember '5 Minutes'?); H, suffering from generalized fibromyalgia (meaning it affects the whole body); and D, with a problematic shoulder. While each had a valid reason for being in the class, each also possesses a different level of yoga expertise. This, in itself, could be daunting.
I dove in; laughing at my jokes (very important), trying to offer variations that would challenge, but not over-challenge, observing the outcome - asking for feedback (because otherwise, people tend to be very quiet during yoga class, and - in this setting - feedback is critical; I need to know if they are feeling what I am conveying and also what the result of that is - does it feel good, or hurt, or feel manageable, like that). So, the class becomes a conversation and - hopefully - no one is too shy to share -- which, in this group, was not a problem.
Three people, two of whom had met in passing at other classes, thrown together in my class to work on different issues; all with different levels of yoga expertise. Interesting! And. Fun. Loved. It.
Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: