Wednesday, August 31, 2011

ON FEEDBACK

It's been two weeks of significant teaching feedback for me.

First, there was my video class. A good opportunity for me, teaching a group of well-schooled yoga students in a beautiful studio. Feedback to self: not the video to send in. I knew this before I ever watched it. Why? There was just a 'not right' feeling about how I taught the class. A few unsettling things happened at the start of class; I placed myself in an awkward spot (thinking it would be the best spot); and I knew I hadn't served everyone from my highest capability.
I pondered this for 6 days, delayed watching the video. Sundari came to town, offered to watch it with me; which we did on Sunday. We laughed, I grimaced, puzzled looks crossed her face on a few occasions. In the end, her assessment was the same as mine -- not the video to submit. Good teaching, for me, however, as she reviewed the positives and the not-so-positives. She also was generous enough to offer pointers to improve the next one.
Tuesday, we drove into Carlsbad for my 10:30 class, which Sundari planned to attend. Small class; in fact, only one person arrived. New to the studio, about my age, worried she wasn't dressed 'right', and - she admitted - a bit discouraged with her level of physical activity lately. She also noted that she had tried yoga several times, only to leave with a sore neck. We talked. She stayed. Sundari, the new student and I began the class.
When finished, student expressed appreciation and said she'd be back. Her reaction to the class was positive, I saw awareness blossom as she tried a few new things, and she exclaimed on more than one occasion that she had not received the level of explanation before that I had given her -- good stuff.
Sundari and I went to lunch. During that short lunch, I got more than I bargained for (perhaps, to be honest, even wanted). A gift, Sundari began -- this student was a gift. She will teach me so much about my teaching and I need to embrace that. (I agree.) She went on to explain how she might have worked with this student -- pointing out helpful things and not-so-helpful things for a student struggling with a flat neck and a heel spur. I may have heard it before, but had forgotten that there is a connection between the two -- people who have flat necks may develop heel spurs. The feedback was a bit sobering -- not that I did anything really wrong, but that she saw I could have done so much more!. Her role at lunch was to cheerlead and not by telling me how great I had done (false praise), but by telling me how much more I could do. At one point, she said: 'you need to take off the leash, get out of your head, get on your mat, feel your body, then teach from what you have learned from your time on the mat by yourself, feeling the impact of the practice on your body'. Ouch, in a good way.
On to Temecula, where I teach an afternoon Therapeutics/Gentle Class. 4 in the room - 2 with neck issues, one with a need to relax, and Sundari. I was under the gun, so to speak. Remembering what Sundari had said at lunch, I approached the class differently. As she had done for Saturday's workshop, we began in savasana, then went to the wall for shoulder and leg work, returned to the mat for some standing and balance poses. Emphasis - legs and muscular energy; from that extending up through the crown of the head. To the floor, a few twists. Then, using a folded blanket, we moved through two pranayama exercises (don't like that word - exercise, but lacking any other right now). Savasana.
Tea and discussion with one of the students after class. Then the drive home. Anticipating feedback. "Better", she said, "better."
I was relieved, and it felt good to change it up a bit; to look at these students with a fresh eye, and to teach them from the perspective of what would help them, not just from a template of what people expect. Different, and better.
Ahhh, feedback -- gotta receive and accept it; gotta love it; it is a good thing.
Next video opportunity? Next week. All positive vibes will be welcome!
Hope you have a great Wednesday.

No comments: