Tuesday, August 30, 2011

SMILING

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

Nice. Love it. Even posted my love for this quote on Facebook. It reminded me of my students yesterday.
My one-hour class at the Fallbrook Library is clicking right along. I had 9 the first week; 4 of those returned the second week; the other 4 returned yesterday (third week). I view this as a good sign -- everyone (except one) returning for another class -- just not at the same time. Still a positive. I'm on the schedule for the Fall in this same time slot -- looking for more and more as word gets out.
My alignment emphasis in yesterday's Library class was muscular energy (some of the sequence borrowed from Noah's 60-minute class on YogaGlo - same emphasis). With 4 in the room, it's easy to keep track of what everyone is doing, offer enhancements, even get down next to a student and do a pose where there is a language barrier. One student in particular, no language barrier, kept smiling and laughing softly.
I could take this one of two ways. The old Leslie might have been offended -- assuming she was laughing at my verbiage or, worse, my teaching. The new Leslie looks at this as a compliment. I choose to believe that she was truly enjoying the class, happy to be in the room, moving her body, with people who have a like-minded desire. That's what I choose to believe and I'm sticking to it! Because I believe it to be true. That's why I smile and laugh in a yoga class. Because I am happy to be there.
Oh sure, the first few minutes my muscles might ache, I wonder why I bothered, I worry I'm too 'something' to be there. But, as I move, these negative thoughts go away, and I'm left to move without thinking too much. Afterwards, I feel good. Glad I stuck it out. Proud of myself, even.
When my 4 students lifted their hips in eka hasta bhujasana, there were smiles around the room. No matter how high the hips went (or, even if they got off the ground), simply making the effort brought a level of joy into the room. I wonder when or if any of them had ever tried to get their leg on top of their shoulder!?!?! Fun stuff. I smiled, too.
Today? Teaching in Carlsbad, 10:30 am, Intro to Anusara Class; then to Temecula for my 2pm Therapeutic/Gentle Class.
Hope your Tuesday is great!

No comments: