Saturday, September 3, 2011

THE RED CAR

We have a new car -- yes, another one. We are the people who are always excited to try the next, newer model. I'm not talking expensive cars, here, tho we have had a few I would have classified as 'expensive'. These days, we look for function, style, then we go to the price; if it's too much, we walk away. What's too much? Well, let's just say our newest member of the garage is a (drumroll, please) bright red Jetta Volkswagon (a station wagon version).

I have never owned (or driven) a red car. When I saw it at the dealership, first thought -- 'it's cute'. When I got in to drive it, the red exterior framed my vision of the road. But, Howard (husband) liked it and the only other option was black at the moment - definitely, no. And, after all, this was a 'spur of the moment purchase'. No waiting, or we might not get it. So, red it must be and is.
Maybe you have driven a red car and know what it feels like. To me, it feels a bit conspicuous at times. I look at other silver, white, tan, etc., autos, being drive by like-aged individuals, and I do wonder 'what am I doing in a red car'? I suppose you might say 'something you've never done before'. It's another growth opportunity, another chance to step out of the comfort zone of conforming to mine and other's expectations.
I must say - before you think otherwise - I am loving the car. Its 'redness' and all. It's fun to drive -- a peppy, yet sturdy, little vehicle that goes from point A to B with no complaints. It has many of the 'bells and whistles' of more expensive models. It has a great radio, my Broadway tunes come in clear at times I'm not listening to my favorite DJ's here in San Diego (Jeff & Jer, 96.5 FM).
What's the best part? So far, I am thrilled to be able to park in the specially-marked spots at the Fallbrook Library, designated for 'energy efficient vehicles'. (This little red car is a diesel, after all! 40+ miles to the gallon. Yes!)
It's a keeper, despite its 'redness'.
After Wednesday, the week calmed. Sundari went to stay with other San Diego friends Wednesday night. I taught 3 classes on Thursday, armed with the knowledge that it's o.k. to step out of the box (or 'off the leash', as she put it). Friday was spent in the yard, running a couple errands (in the white car, this time), and enjoying a fun dinner with Derek (son), Jessie (daughter-in-law), and the grand-dudes - Jack, Brady and Carson.
Have a great Saturday!
(p.s. This has been one of those posts that has nothing to do with yoga.)

No comments: