Sunday, August 28, 2011

SUNDARI IN FALLBROOK

Friday, my good friend and mentor - Sundari - arrived in Fallbrook.

Actually, she arrived in San Diego, took the Coaster (a commuter train that runs up the coastline) to Oceanside, where I picked her up. It is so good to see her after several months (and, that was a brief 2 hours). This is planned to be a longer visit.
What have (will) we done (do)? Well, yesterday afternoon was spent at Living Yoga in Temecula, where Sundari offered a 4-hour mini-workshop on therapeutics to us (fellow instructors and students). I was blanketed in remembrance as she began to speak -- such a voice, such great verbiage. I can strive to speak like that, not identically, but still so inspiringly. Then, there were the cues she offered -- memories of classes/times past. The overall tempo of the session was soft (not easy, but soft); using our breath and our inner voice to access the desired movement.
We began with the pelvis, hips and thighs -- Sundari skillfully took us through the anatomy and into the importance of thighs back, seated in hip socket. After this portion, I now have a new tool that offers me a clear sense of inner spiral of the back leg in poses like parsvakonasana, pidgeon, etc. AND, of outer spiral of the front leg. Great psoas work, healthy psoas work. When done, I was almost able to straighten my leg (with hand to foot) in supta padangusthasana AND keep the leg on the floor rooted and strong. Progress in a pose I thought may always require a strap; maybe not (YES!).
Moving on, shoulders, upper back, neck. All good work and valuable to me, posture-wise, and as I work with students.
How was this work received by those attending. One example: Andrea (studio owner), attended and noted in the beginning that she needed to leave at 4:30 (30 minutes early). At 4:45, she was still in the room and Sundari generously reminded her that her departure time had passed. The response? "I know; I don't want to leave." Nice.
Then, each person had questions after the end of our session; we left Temecula at 6 (it was still almost 100 degrees there), drove back to Fallbrook and enjoyed a bit (maybe a lot) of Mexican food on the patio of a local restaurant.
Today? Watching the video together -- will get her input before sending it to Sarah, my Certification reviewer. I am not averse to doing another one if this is not the right video. Then a drive to the beach, where we plan to walk and enjoy the ocean. Maybe lunch somewhere.
Hope your Sunday is a great one!

No comments: