Friday, September 23, 2011

IMAGINE (this is NOT a song)

The classroom is quiet and dark. I am at the desk waiting for students for my 4pm class - almost worried that no one will show. Then . . .

In bounds a young girl followed by her sister and her mother. They sign in, remove shoes, head into the quiet classroom. I follow . . .
These will be the only students in my class today (Thursday). And, they set their mats up in a strange configuration -- 2 in back corner and the smaller girl in front. As we sat for a few moments, I struggle with that form and decide that the better set-up would be a circle; so, we switch things. Class begins.
Teaching young people is a challenge. I've discovered over the years that (in most cases) the 10-year-old is a more focused student than the 13-year-old. Why? Not sure. At age 10, they don't embarrass as easily; at age 13, they are becoming painfully aware of their 'image' and drama begins to enter their persona. Maybe that's the reason. No matter, on with my story . . .
This family has been coming to the studio for a while. I wonder if they are Korean or Chinese, and I am not sure that all I say is understood (I hear whispering in another language at times). I decided to begin with some easy banter - like 'do you like yoga?'. The younger-appearing girl answers 'no'. The other says 'yes', and the Mother clearly enjoys the practice. With this in mind, we begin. More questions about any pets they might have. The 'do you have a dog?' question brought giggles from all, so I pursued -- 'do you have a cat?', 'do you have a 'cow?', like that. (BTW, they don't have any of the animals mentioned.) More giggles from this up-to-now stoic group. My goal? To have the younger-appearing daughter at least look like she was enjoying something about the class.
Class proceeds. A little unorthodox sequencing - wanted them doing something fun, so we worked into some variations of vasisthasana (2 of 3 doing fine, the 3rd so-so). Got to "wild thing", more giggling. The girls are piano players -- the song 'wild thing' (of which I can do a crazy air band demo) is NOT in their repertoire. But, they had fun trying the pose, Mom & older-looking daughter doing great -- even the one who doesn't 'like' yoga was giving it a go.
Once that was over, then - knowing they spend a good deal of time each day at the piano - we did some stretches that they can do at home, at times when the back or the wrists/hands are tired and aching.
The class that began with a 'no' to my 'do you like yoga?' question, ended on a good note. Progress from the one who doesn't 'like' yoga, and the other two had fun, did some challenging work, learned some things to do at home when fatigue sets in. BTW, I found out as they left, both girls are 13 (tho one looks 13 and the other looks to be 10); they are fraternal twins.
They'll be back.
The Universe keeps throwing me curve balls -- it's fun trying to catch them; tho, some days, I wonder why. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate each and every one of them. And, I find in myself a gift to just 'roll with the punches' -- I actually enjoy these challenges.
Have a great Friday!

No comments: