Thursday, September 29, 2011

INTERESTING & INSPIRING READING (some not for the 'faint of heart')

From my list of favorite blogs and websites, I check in almost daily with two: Christina Sell's and MariaCristina's. I also frequently read Bernadette Birney's. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Karen Sprute-Francovich, whose writing is much less frequent but enriching and eloquent when it appears.

These women all write for my benefit (and yours), and each has a different style. Examples:
  • Christina's are filled with good teaching tips, sequences she has used, and - on occasion - rants that are entertaining to read and well thought out. Take her latest post - her topic was the benefit of all yoga styles (if taught well). A gentle reminder for those of us in the Anusara® world to not get too wrapped up in our 'video-qualified' mentality. I recommend reading it.
  • MariaCristina is inspiring, gracious, and over-the-top smart. Take her recent post comparing the development of the embryo to the Tattvas!?!?!? Who would have made that correlation? Now, I know who -- MC. And, as importantly, her writing continually reminds me that it's not just about how well I (we) can teach or do the poses, it's about the students - their needs, their desires; and my (our) relationship with them. Another way of pulling me (us) back from the 'video-qualified' precipice.
  • Bernadette Birney's blog is, to say the least, irreverent. Filled with spicey language (language I naively thought I'd never hear coming from a yogi's mouth); yet, also filled with lessons to be learned. One of her recent posts was a letter to me (us) as a 'wanna-be-Certified' teacher. A cautionary note from her, written in letter format, reminding me (us) to savor the process, not rush, not get too wrapped up in my (our) 'video-qualified' goals. This process of Certification is meant to teach me (us), as well as propel me (us) onto the next step of my (our) journey.
Are you noticing an energetic theme here?
  • And Karen's? All good stuff, from stories of her son's travels to how to build the pose, Garudasana. I've followed her through her last India journey, and, when I am visiting my family up north, I try my best to get to one of her classes in Coeur d'Alene. A teacher's teacher, happy to be where she is, enjoying what she is doing, loving her students; 'satisfied' would be a good adjective for Karen, I think.
Each is different. Each has chosen to share their knowledge with me (us). Their path has inspired me to write this blog, which - when compared to theirs - I might describe as 'comfort food'. I write the way I ask questions at a workshop. Huh? I ponder a question; hesitate to ask it; then remind myself that there are probably 15-30 people in the room all wondering the same thing; why not ask it? Why not write it?
Not sure if that makes sense, but my blog is my blog -- my thoughts, my correlations, the story of my journey. That's one of the reasons I try to stick with "I, my, me' rather than "you, ours, us" -- it might not apply to you and I certainly don't want to sound like I'm preaching to anyone. So, I read, I learn, I - in turn - share my thoughts.
It's a teaching day - 2 classes; one in Carlsbad, one in Temecula. Better plan.
Hope you have a nice Thursday,

No comments: