Wednesday, September 28, 2011

THE WEEK, IN REVIEW

Granted, it's only Wednesday, but a 'week in review' post seems in order. It seems it has been a full 5-6 days (that, plus, I haven't written for a few days).

You know about the dog. A brief update: he's perkier each day, still gets along with other dogs, still views cats from afar, eating more eagerly, and has even managed 2-hour stays at home alone with the other dogs without incident. As to bonding, he still stays close but I'm not so sure he won't 'go to the dark (husband) side'; there are signs -- just sayin'.
Step back, now, to the day before the dog was adopted - to Friday. Friday is a 'no class to teach' day; unless I'm subbing for someone. I did, however, travel in to Carlsbad to help with a little sprucing up of that studio (Carlsbad Wellness and Yoga). We have an influx of students and new-to-us teachers this month, and the place needed to look welcoming and warm. Thanks to Michele and Debra (and Robert, the owner), we knocked out some decent work in a couple hours. Increased mat space, wall space for our practices and general ambiance.
Saturday was 'Claus Adopted Day' - see previous post for that story.
Sunday was a lazy, lay around the house kind of day. That is, after a walk in the park with dogs and a pancake breakfast at a 'roadhouse' in Rainbow. I have always tolerated pancakes. After tasting the pancakes at this particular restaurant (a favorite of the motorcycle crowd), I found myself craving them (what's that about?). Let's just say, pancakes (of this type) at 9am mean there is no need for another meal until 6pm - after a long nap.
Monday, with dog following me everywhere, I did housework before heading into the Library for my community class at 3pm. This is the one volunteer class I teach since arriving in California, and it's growing! I am up to 10-11 in the last 3 classes! This is rewarding, and I love to see the effort being expended by students and the improvement and general enjoyment happening.
I decided my theme this week ought to be 'remembrance'. Why? Well, on Sunday morning, Howard walked into the room and announced that Claus (new dog) was our anniversary gift. What, I thought? As usual, he (Howard) and I had both forgotten that it was our anniversary Saturday. And, not just any Anniversary -- our 30-year Anniversary. So why remembrance -- shouldn't I be embarrassed to admit this? Yes, I should. It just goes to show you that you can make a theme out of just about anything, including forgotten anniversaries.
Step back many, many posts to one where I described banter between John Friend and Darren Rhodes about the topic of remembrance. John's message: that we remember the things that are important to us. Granted, our anniversary is important to us; more important, is remembering every day to be loving and kind to one another.
Yes, we do remember what's important; and remembering the anniversary is a good thing -- but only if we've remembered the other 364 days of the year to honor our commitment to one another. How does this relate to yoga? Teacher asks us to do something to improve our pose. We do it, it helps. The task now is to remember - not to come back next class and be reminded over and over of the same improvement tip. All these 'little things', like placing hands strongly and mindfully, having feet parallel, etc., add up to great poses! I used the same theme in yesterday morning's class -- as I said "Place your hands with commitment, don't forget to claw the floor. If I were to walk by and try to lift a finger, it won't budge!", one student looked up and smiled. I, of course, asked why -- to which she said "I heard John Friend say that on a video!" Well, he is one of my teachers.
Today? It's Wednesday, another 'no class to teach' day. That means housework, grocery shopping, computer work, practice - yoga and guitar (Yes, Leslie bought herself a guitar. Now let's see what happens -- will she learn to play? Let's hope so, that's the goal.)
Have a great day and thanks for reading!

No comments: