Saturday, October 8, 2011

DAY 4

Since I'm writing this (in the comfort of my great room, in front of a fire), you know that I survived the drive yesterday morning.

The roads were wet (probably slick in spots), and the snow had become packed down on the road at the top of the pass, but I and my little front-wheel-drive vehicle made it. Then, because I was heading out to the 'wilderness' and over that pass (which has very steep sides and small side rails), I had left the house prepared. A bag of warm clothes, bottle of water, apple, and I was wearing jacket, hat and boots.
The native Jacksonians laughed at me.
But, I remember the story of the man recently found off the side of a California road by his family - 6 days after his car had gone off the road over a steep embankment. He survived, but - sadly - the person in another vehicle that had gone off the same spot several weeks/months(?) before, had not. The 2 cars sat in the ravine side-by-side until family members arrived. Hence, my preparation. Enough said. Except: Always go prepared for anything!
Day 3 was another good one. Feeling a growing confidence in my skills to help teach in this type of situation (an Immersion), I offered a bit more. It's not my class, tho, and that's an important balance to remember. To offer, but not get too mouthy or too adjustment-happy. That's a learning opportunity, as well. These students know Sundari, they don't know (or trust) me yet. I can use the same analogy to braking while driving on snow/ice as I did yesterday - "Don't go too fast, yet don't be too on-the-brakes". That analogy works in a lot of situations, because it's a balance -- finding the middle spot, the mudhya (sp?).
Today? We'll see. It could have snowed a bit more at altitude, but I won't bore you with that. I made it yesterday, I ought to be able to make it today. I will take my bag of 'gear', tho; screw what the 'natives' may thing of my over-cautiousness.
Enjoy Saturday. And for Jack -- Go Soccer Star!

No comments: