Friday, October 7, 2011

SNOW!?!?! (or, WHY DIDN'T I RENT A 4-WHEEL DRIVE???)

Yes, friends -- SNOW.

I hear this is not unusual for the Driggs, ID, and Jackson, WY, communities - many times the first snowfall is in September. BUT, in fairness, I checked weather forecasts, I did my homework. Nowhere did it say "expect snow".
Having lived in Utah, and driven to Driggs (remember the book title, previous post) many times, I've driven in snow. But, I live in sunny California, now (which I hear is not so sunny this week). I had hoped for nice Fall weather, a bit of sunshine warming a crisp morning, looking at colorful aspens -- like that. Not snow; rain, maybe, NOT snow.
Snow means driving over the Driggs to Jackson pass (about 20 miles) on roads that are less-than-optimal, icy probably. That's the reason people here use 4-wheel drive vehicles. If you live here, you own at least one 4-wheel drive; maybe 2 if there's more than one driver in the household.
FYI, I rented an economy-sized auto -- nice enough, but NOT 4-wheel drive; front-wheel drive, I'm sure, but NOT 4-wheel drive. My confidence, without 4-wheels pulling the vehicle, is lacking. 4-wheel-drive does NOT help with stopping, I know that. There is just nothing worse than NOT being able to make forward momentum on a steep (or slight incline).
Oh well, enough whining -- I'll get in the front-wheel drive vehicle this morning and give it a go. Trust that there is enough traffic over the pass to have worn off this skiff (1" on our deck). Put my 'game face' on. Go slow, but not too slow; brake, but not brake too hard; give it a go -- that's all I can do.
I wrote once that I used that particular analogy as a theme in my yoga classes. That, when going downhill in the snow (in your car), if you brake too hard you will certainly slide. But, if you don't brake at all, then watch out. You have to find the balance. Similar to our yoga poses, right? We have to go for it, or we'll just sit on the sidelines and watch. But, we have to go for it with a modicum of attentiveness. Find the balance -- effort & surrender.
Now -- wish me luck!
BTW, day 2 went extremely well. Sundari had asked me to offer input; which I did in the morning. At lunch, I received the advice to offer my input without a caveat - like instead of saying "in my experience, I find using the outer spiral helpful in driving the knee . . .", say "use your outer spiral to drive the knee into the 90 degree angle, rather than thinking about bending the knee". Like that. So, in the afternoon, that's how it went -- and, I felt good; competent; like a teacher!
Have a great Friday,

No comments: