Friday, November 11, 2011

ON TO #3

#3 video, to be more precise.   I've done my homework, I've been practicing the recommended elements; now to video another class.

A challenge -- not that I am nervous or unprepared, but finding a class to teach that is 90 minutes long and occupied by more than 3-4 people is my task now.  My own classes are either 75 minutes long, therapeutic/gentle in nature, or at odd periods of the day (in other words, not attended by the requisite six people).  In response to this 'challenge', I've been volunteering like crazy when a sub request for a 90 minute class emerges.

Good plan. But, so far, not working. The instructor I subbed for this week (90 minute classes) has loyal students; students that have stayed away in light of her absence (I think/hope). So, classes have been 4-5 people rather than her usual 8-10. Bummer!

Next option:  I signed up to teach 2 classes this Saturday morning. Saturday ought to be a well-attended class; at least, the 10 am class.  The noon class - questionable for many people.  It will be a double-pronged 'crap' shoot.  First, the schedule at this studio is a rotation of instructors and styles for the class.  Unusual for a Saturday morning (Saturday mornings are usually the territory of the strongest and most crowd-drawing instructor).  The rotation here seems to work, tho; people do come, sometimes large numbers.  So, we'll see.

And, second, the people who attend will not necessarily be Anusara devotees.  They may have attended an Anusara class or two, but their preferred style may be something else.

I don't have much problem with the second issue -- what happens, happens; and the first, I can't control -- other than to set my own intention to teach a good class.  I will have the camera available, see what happens, and go from there.  Fingers crossed.

This week's pose emphasis has been hanumanasana.  I attended Ashley's class on Monday, and she set the tone for all my teaching this week.  Well, without the chocolate.  Ashley celebrated her birthday on Monday; cupcakes in the studio, and one fired up instructor (was it the chocolate? or, can someone really get so excited and exuberant about their birthday?  If it is the latter, good for her!)  It was a great class and one in which we did ardha (or - some of us - 3/4 or even full) hanumanasana. Since then, each of my classes has been able to experience the pose (well, not the Gentle - that's another story); myself included, as I demo.

What else has happened for me?  The moonwalk continues to be easier each time I do it.  A great way to experience progress in the work we do.  What is moonwalk, you ask?  Experienced yogis:  Begin in table, with feet at a bare wall, hands slightly in front of shoulders. Move to a short down dog, press your heart towards the wall and, staying strong in shoulders, lift feet onto the wall about hip height (your legs and arms are straight and you are in the shape of an "L"). Begin on right side, hugging a straight right leg back in towards your right hip (it will move 1/2 inch or so away from the wall). DON'T BEND THAT RIGHT KNEE!  Allow the straight right leg to release towards the floor, as you bend the left knee, keeping left toes and foot firmly on the wall. Lifting the straight right leg towards the ceiling, straighten the left knee. Repeat once or twice, each side.  What have you just done?  A'la Betsey Downing, you have begun to imprint the kicking action needed to be a 'kicker' (great handstand prep) -- read one or two posts back.  You are also strengthening your arms, shoulders, torso.  Great work.

My gentle class was a private - a scenario of what damage can happen over time when awareness is not available.  Beautiful woman, mid-60's, with a torn medial meniscus (no remarkable incident, just discomfort and pain over the past few years).  As a model, she was reminded over and over to stand with her tailbone over-scooped and thighs moving forward. She also stands with feet turned out. As we worked together, it was obvious her body awareness is great and she is able to do all the things I asked of her.  Her work will be to create the 'habit' of feet parallel and thighs back. The meniscus might still be intact, had this work begun years ago (or never been necessary).

Today?  Haircut -- do I keep it short or let it get a bit longer.  In SLC, longer was the pattern.  After all, I wanted a bit of hair to show from under the ski hats and helmet.  Here?  Not so necessary.  Decisions, Decisions!

Hope you have a great Friday!

No comments: