Tuesday, November 8, 2011

PRECISION

Interesting post title, isn't it?  It comes from a student in a class that I guest-taught yesterday. As he thanked me for stepping in for his regular teacher, he noted that he has appreciated the 'precision' of my teaching each time he has encountered me.

Well, I like it.  I'll take it.  Just call me the 'precision princess', or some such name.

(As I re-read the previous paragraph, the staccato of the first 2 sentences remind me of a song from "Wicked" -- just an aside; comes from listening to the Broadway channel a bit too much, perhaps?)

Let's step back a couple days -- I've told you about Saturday, the no-urdhva backbend class day; but, not about Sunday, the 3-hour handstand day.

What fun, that was.  My inclination: to stay away, to not put myself in a position of embarrassment because I don't kick up yet. Instead, I pushed and pushed and stepped through the door and into an amazing experience.  Several levels of experience in the room, from non-kickers to the people trying to balance in the middle of the room (the kickers, I'll call them). How did she do it? How did she handle these different levels with so much skill -- practice, practice, practice.

First, Betsey watched the skilled kick to the wall. Then, she asked the rest of us to show her what we could do. And then, she paired each of the non-kickers with a kicker.  (If you do yoga, this makes sense; if not, keep reading.) We went through a series of exercises, rotating time at the wall. This was great - why? Time for the wrists and arms to rest, as our partner worked. We would work on a task, and when finished get a demo of the next exercise or task -- one for the kicker; one for the non-kicker.  Skillful teaching.  Loved it.

FYI, I didn't kick up by myself, but I have tools now. Things to do to create strength and muscle memory for putting myself upside down, on my hands, against the wall (someday, without the wall) -- to be a 'kicker'.

We also were give homework -- to do random acts of kindness throughout our weeks. Yes!

Moving on to Monday -- a bit of yoga in the a.m. (on my own, practiced some things to make me a 'kicker'), some laundry and housework, then in to the Library for the BIGGEST class so far: 18! On to Temecula to participate in Ashley's class, then guest-taught (read first paragraph). Dinner with Howard, then home to our family of critters.

Today?  Headed to my yoga room for a bit of practice, then to Carlsbad to teach, then to Temecula to teach.  Busy driving day.

Hope you have a great Tuesday,

No comments: