Sunday, November 13, 2011

WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS WHINING; read at your own risk!

I taught a Basics class yesterday, 10am.  Perfect for a video, I thought; tho, the 10 students were not familiar to me.  I decided to go for it, anyway.

Set camera up - 9:55am, I asked everyone to hug in a bit for maximum camera coverage.  I also explained the purpose of the camera briefly -- not too much, just enough that they would know it was there to film me, not them, and was needed for my progress towards Certification.

10am, I turned camera on and took my seat, asking everyone to do likewise. As I scanned the room, I felt the eyes on me -- eyes that didn't know me, but many eyes that said 'we're glad to be here' -- my interpretation, anyway. I also noticed 2 pairs of eyes - one more than the other - that said 'let's get moving, I'm bored'.  I introduced my theme, mentioned that Hanumanasana would be our peak pose, and we would be preparing for the pose. (Note, there also was one new-to-yoga person in the room - a young man.)

We began, centering, chanting and warming up slowly. I paused when students were standing to briefly explain the sequence of a class to the new-to-yoga person (remember, this is a 'basic' class). We began to move through the surya namaskars I had planned.  The 2 pairs of eyes mentioned above -- well, one of them moved as instructed (very seriously); the other, did likewise and continued to look bored.

Let me say this positive note -- of the 10 people in the room; in the end, 9 did a stellar job.  There was no question that they were with me throughout the class.

Now, to the 10th (and the whining - you might want to stop reading now or skip to the last 2 paragraphs).  As we moved from the surya's into some wide-legged standing poses (Parsvakonasana, Warrior II), she broke into her own routine -- doing many poses I had not requested yet.  In one instance, I acknowledged it -- hoping she might realize the error of her ways -- and return to the fold of the class.  It didn't work.

We continued -- student #10, as I'll call her, threw in variations, vinyasas, extra poses wherever possible. I tried to ignore her, until we came to a runner's stretch - one that I hoped to add some intricate instruction to in order to open the hamstrings. #10 took parsvottonasana (rather than back knee down), causing the student next to her to do the same thing.  I came between them, asked them both to release their back knees to the floor -- 'we are doing a different pose here', I said, in a FIRM voice.

Class continues -- during my demos, #10 continued to do poses. All the while, I am thinking:  toss this video, my anger rises and I lost focus, which I am sure is reflected in this video.

Savasana - finally.  As I sit, eyes closed, I feel tears behind my closed lids and a feeling of almost-desperation -- like, when - where - how am I going to get this done?  Perfect class, right numbers, 9 of 10 are giving me their best.  This won't do, however.  All 10 must give me their attention and respect me enough to stay with me throughout the class.  Oh, I've seen other teachers have this happen; they ignore it; especially if it is a first-time encounter with a student (which this was). This happens in a yoga class. However, it won't fly in a Certification video. Taking the seat (being in command; having people do what you ask) is an important component of what my reviewer is looking at.  It didn't happen. Not this class.

I left the room feeling let down, and, if I were to say to #10 how I feel, the response could very well be "well, this was my class and my practice; I didn't come to be video'd".

Right answer.  Quandary.  Enough.

Today?  Meeting old friends for brunch. I have another opportunity to video this week.  The good thing?  It's all prepared, homework done and ready to go.

Hope your Sunday is a good one,


No comments: