Tuesday, November 29, 2011

THE SHIELDS WE PUT UP . . .

Today is my birthday.  62 years old.

I remembered that 2 years ago (birthday #60), I actually did a countdown to that magic number. It was a bit traumatic -- kind of like crossing the line from middle-age to old (in my mind, anyway).  By doing the countdown, I was able to ease into it.  And, yes -- I know -- 60 is not 'old'; but, it is older.

I also had set a goal for myself at age 58. Jokingly with another now-Certified instructor, we coined the phrase "CBS - Certified By Sixty".  We also thought about having t-shirts made up with this phrase on them (SO glad that didn't happen).  Today -- well, he's 58 and Certified; I'm 62 and working on it (Good for him and good for me!).

The other day a friend asked me to post my birthday on Facebook so people could send me their well wishes.  I didn't and won't do it.  In fact, a year ago, I deliberately removed that feature from my page.  Why?  It's a shield.

You can tell that birthdays, now - for me - are a challenge.

Last night, the Grand-Dudes and their parents hosted us for a birthday celebration -- dinner, CAKE, fun family time.  Today?  Teaching, as usual, then dinner somewhere with Howard (he's made reservations). A nice, quiet evening.

BTW, yesterday's Library class was another 'goodie'.  We worked on Virabhadrasana I (thanks to Noah's YogaGlo 60-minute class).  Another 15 students.  Would have been 16, but I lost one during the introduction -- I can only surmise that, when I began to explain the origin (story) of the pose name, she decided that this class was not for her.  Too bad -- we did some good work after that intro, and I do believe that it's important to recognize the history of yoga; we don't have to believe all the 'stories', but it is of value to know where a pose's name comes from.  In eight years of teaching, that's my first 'walk-out'; guess I ought to feel good about that, but I do hope she will return. We'll see.

Hope you have a great Tuesday!




No comments: