Wednesday, December 28, 2011

COINCIDENCE?

Here's a confession -- I wrote a post yesterday, published it, left it up for about 9 hours, then deleted it.  Why? As I wrote it, I kept thinking -- why?  why write this?  why turn this blog into your own personal 'whining post'?  I did continue, tho; and was plagued for the next few hours with misgiving -- like, it wasn't right.  So, I erased it.  I felt better after erasing it, but notice that a few people had looked at it.  If that was you, sorry about that.

Now to the coincidence part.  On Monday, Howard and I ventured out to exchange some Christmas gifts. We actually drove north to South Coast Plaza (one of the larger malls, located in Costa Mesa), despite the warnings of traffic congestion, crowds in the mall, etc.  We did leave home early, which helped with the traffic issue going north, and allowed us to shop for an hour or so without the massive crowds. As we were leaving the mall, it was definitely crowded -- not my choice of place to be.  We passed a favorite store and slipped in (attracted by the 'SALE' signs).  While there we bought some discounted Christmas decorations and a book.

What book?  "The Happiness Project"

And, what coincidence?  I began to read the book this morning.  Got through the introduction and a bit into Chapter 1.  It addresses the exact issues that I wrote about yesterday - that's the coincidence.

The author's dilemma -- she has a good life - loving husband, good children, nice home, job she enjoys, etc., etc., etc. While not exactly the same situation as me, this quote from the author describes my dilemma:  "I have such a good life, I want to appreciate it more -- and live up to it better."  ("Live up to it better" - interesting and challenging.)

And, she's not talking about changing her circumstances; she's talking about appreciating the ordinary day, setting some higher standards for her everyday life, and taking a broader view to let go of annoyances.  (Those are her words, just re-organized into this blog.)

Perfect.  Just what I need to do.  I'll continue reading -- I think this will be good for me.

Library class today -- hoo-ray; love this class!  Hope you have a good Wednesday.

1 comment:

cailen ascher said...

i've heard of and looked at that book several times but have yet to get a copy of my own. thank you for the reminder - i think i will add that to my "must read" list for 2012.

namaste,
cailen

www.lifestylemaven.org