Thursday, December 22, 2011

I SURVIVED (but still have the cold)

The Denver workshop was a good one -- tons of people, lots of laughter and chatter, seeing old friends, making new ones; and then, there was the yoga - inspiring and also sprinkled with laughter and - for me -  perspiration (a result of the cold?).

I am glad I went, tho I struggled - so glad I decided to do just the Mixed Level practice.  Colds are supposed to last 10 days (according to my doctor); this one is now on day 11 -- what's up with that?

So, it's almost Christmas.  My husband has been like a busy 'elf' decorating this new-to-us house (lights, lighted wreath, etc.), and we put up a bigger tree this year.  Looks at least a bit 'holiday-ish' around here.  And, in our neighborhood, which is very dark, we stand out.

In my teaching, since Thanksgiving, I've stuck with balance as a theme.  Partly because I want to be prepared for the class with six students in it, so I can turn the video camera on and use a familiar, well-prepared theme; and also because it is such an important theme off my mat.  Staying balanced throughout the holidays, when everything seems to want to pull me OFF balance -- food (Love those cookies), drink (tho I don't drink anymore), spending on gifts, scheduling my time.  For me, the spending is particularly important.  For example, I shopped yesterday for some last minute things and kept wanting to buy more.  It was hard to remember that I already had gifts, that I didn't need to buy that little extra something for so-and-so, that I had achieved balance.  Always a practice.

Can't be sure I'll write again before Christmas, so I will take this opportunity to wish you all a wonderful holiday - no matter how you celebrate or not.  I love that I can feel and share the peace, generosity and harmony of spirit that comes with this day.

Have a great Thursday!