Monday, January 9, 2012

SUNDAY'S CLASS

Sunday mornings are great at Living Yoga in Temecula -- receptive and welcoming students, good numbers, and - perhaps - an opportunity to video; which I did yesterday.

The situation was just too good -- enough people, in a big enough room, and well-schooled (maybe not everyone in Anusara, but that turned out to be o.k. for this group).

And, what's the rest of the story?  Not sure it will fly -- why?

First, I always have a written out plan with me (not that I read from it verbatim, but I do refer to it just to make sure I'm covering all the bases) -- The plan I hoped to use I left in the car which Howard (husband) was driving to run errands as he waited for me.  Duh!

Second, I found myself being too directive, not using linking words enough.  Oh, I knew I was doing it (being directive) and I tried to get them in (linking words), but I am not sure I did it often enough or with the right placement to create the desired sense of flow in my sequence.

Third, I almost forgot to demo.  When I remembered that I ought to do one (not sure if it is a 'requirement'), it was at 'apex time'.  Therefore, I demo'd the apex, which was Warrior I (this was a Basic class).  I demo'd the pose, talking as I did it.  I didn't re-cap, reminding everyone of two things to remember in this pose, and I didn't ask if anyone had a question -- these are key inclusions.

Fourth, I used my alignment emphasis (IS/OS) enough, but am not sure the verbiage I used gives credit to that emphasis for how each of the related movements felt (if that makes sense).  An example:  "confidently take your thighs back and apart, into the space you've created scoop your tailbone; now from the stability created by the two actions of IS and OS, raise your arms extending into your personal, extraordinary Warrior I" (see #5 for explanation).  

Fifth, I am worried I totally blanked on the heart quality.  I used John's recent quote in my opening comments "To make the ordinary extraordinary, sometimes you have to slow things down a bit."  I believe it is so applicable to our practices and can be used effectively to help bring home the point that tadasana is an extraordinary pose with the right attitude.  I used that simile through the class but is "extraordinary" a heart quality?  Not sure.

O.K., enough for 'true confessions' -- I'll watch it.  I am not even sure that the camera captures much of the 13 students in the room; I set it up, hurriedly went back to signing people in, and never re-checked it.  I do know that it was on, however.  So, we'll see. 

I wish I had some good reasons for all of the above (the only explainable one is the first -- that I left it in the car).  And, my memory ought to be good enough to remember or create a sequence 'on the fly'.  Obviously, it isn't.  Or, the excitement of all the right elements coming together just overwhelmed me.  Who knows?

Now, what's the good in this?  That I can think about that class and even without watching it, know what I left out.  That bodes well for including it next time.  Wish me luck.

Today?  Gentle Yoga, back in Temecula this morning; Library Class at 3pm in Fallbrook.  More opportunities to practice, I'm thinking.

Have a great Monday,

2 comments:

Judy said...

Glad you are blogging again! As an "outsider" and your previous student, I wonder why your video requirements are so restrictive. Class has to be a certain length even tho your area prefers shorter classes. There must be a certain number a students, certain verbiage, inclusion of this and that. As you yourself state all these elements-- which represent how someone else teaches (John ?)--make you nervous. Your own flow and style are forgotten as you try to "cover all the bases." Leslie, I thought you were a great teacher in Salt Lake, and you're are most likely improving all the time in CA. I truly hope you can be certified soon! Just my opinion, offered in love. Judy

Leslie Salmon said...

It is a challenge to balance and include everything. In the long run, however, my teaching is a result of this discipline. And, it is widely acknowledged that, once Certified, everything is not included all the time. But, I will know it and that is my goal. My nervousness yesterday was a reflection of modern technology (computer) and the confusion with a number of people trying to sign in and things not going so well (oh, for the paper days of The Yoga Center); since I've done a number of videos, that aspect doesn't bother me. Thank you for the vote of confidence and support -- that is so good for me to hear. Onward!!!