Thursday, January 12, 2012

WOW, SUCH A GREAT COMPLIMENT!

After yesterday's class, as I was cleaning up my paperwork and preparing to leave, the studio owner came over to me and said "you know, one of the students you taught yesterday came up to me after class and said 'she is no ordinary yoga teacher' about you.".

Now, I can take this comment one of two ways -  good or not-so-good.  I choose the good.

Why?  Because I have seen this student repeatedly in classes over the past 2 weeks.  And -- because someone comes to your class more than once doesn't necessarily mean they enjoy it -- her comments to me have been positive.  She feels stronger, she is feeling more stable (on a very unstable knee), and (this is me speaking) she is smiling.

This is good for me to hear - a comment made to someone other than myself. I often have students thank me for a nice class, and indicate they'll be back.  I don't see them again.  That could just be due to the fact that my teaching schedule is not the most convenient for people (middle of the work day, or perhaps just as they need to be picking children up from school - like that).  But, I wonder.  Are they telling me the truth, or are they just saying something nice in order to get out of the room graciously?  (Personally, I know I've done it -- just said 'thank you, nice class' and slipped out, never to return.)

I know that I am not the 'ordinary' yoga teacher.  I'm not even the 'regular' yoga teacher.  As Christina Sell once said about her teaching, "I'm an acquired taste.".  I need to borrow that phrase for this blog post.

Another why?

It takes a long time for my classes to grow -- it's now been 8 months since I began teaching in California.  Classes are spottily attended, at best.  I know, I know -- not the best times, people don't know me, classes I teach are not what the majority of people want (basic, gentle).  I do realize, however, that I teach differently from others -- I am slower, more deliberate (I take comfort in John's quote "to make the ordinary extraordinary, sometimes you have to slow things down a bit").  I am nit picky about alignment, and when I discover something I can go on ad nauseum about the benefits, contraindications, etc., of the movement or lack thereof (just ask me what I learned from Doug Keller's webinar last night, for example).  I won't even talk about being 'older'; but I do think that's a factor -- I don't LOOK like a yoga teacher; people will often walk into a studio, look at me, and inquire "are YOU the instructor?", emphasis on YOU.

Enough about all this.  But, I did want to share my great compliment -- what a wonderful way to end the day and to begin another -- thinking about this, "I am not an ordinary yoga teacher" and I am very happy with that.

Hope you have a great Thursday,

No comments: